Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 RWD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

70K on my W210, no codes, no BAS or ABS malfunctions, all tires are the same size and new.

The cruise control works great at low speeds (25mph-45mph) but will cut out if I try to stick-accelerate past there and will not set at speeds above there. If the cruise control has faulted once it will not set at low speeds again until the engine is shut of and restarted.

I have researched this quite a bit however I have not found any definitive conclusion. I understand that these are symptoms of incorrect tires giving the speed sensors an out of tolerance reading, which is not my case, but maybe a faulty or dirty sensor is giving my computer a bad enough reading that at higher speeds it is out of tolerance.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else experienced this? How would I go about cleaning the brake dust off the delicate speed sensors?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Your OBDII scanner can't communicate with the MB Body control modules.

You need someone or thing that diagnosis's via the 38 pin connector.Good luck!!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,696 Posts
This symptom is known as different tires issue and never heard other explanation.
Advanced scanning is an option, but with $150 charges who want to start here?
The speed sensors can be clean with brake cleaner, or even with compressed air (wear mask), but I would still take a close look at new tires. Did you have the problem before changing tires?

·
Registered
2000 E430 RWD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the problem was worse before the new tires.
I have read that the speed difference tolerance is 3%. When my old tires were sorta flat, the cruise would cut off at about 35-40mph. When I filled them with air and they were all the same size, I could get up to 45mph. Now with new tires much closer to the same exact size, I can get up to 55mph. So, as you go faster that 3% tolerance is exaggerated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts