Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
If CAN connector at ETC looks like that. How does interior CAN junction in right front floor board looks like?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,159 Posts
Yes it's under the carpet. And no that scanner will not be able to access the CAN bus. For a complete scanner to access everything in the car like a dealership you would need a star diagnostic system (SDS). It costs about $330 and then you will need a laptop to use it which costs between $60-$100.

There are other scanners that can access a good amount of computer modules in the car but it won't be able to access everything and you won't be able to do bi directional testing. They would only be good for live data and error codes. But they are cheaper than $430.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
yah i was looking at the different setups, i saw just the hdd for 58, but then you still need the cables, but its too bad you need the whole 256-500 gb mb star program data to run just one model car lol...

im glad i dont have atf oil in my tcm, but still not sure if i need to order a shifter module or if i just have to find a way to clean the corrosion on the wireharness contacts.

at least ill have a backup tcm ordered if i can clean the ports or circuit board up.
need to track down the app to reprogram the tcm if the one i bought isnt the right year.

It will feel so great to be able to drive this car, at least ill be more competent when something else goes out down he line .

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
im not sure is that under the carpet? i was considering a mb code scanner to so proper diagnostics, would this be a decent one? (for the price) https://www.amazon.com/Creator-Reader-System-Scanner-Mercedes/dp/B075SVS1L6/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=mb+star&qid=1581235050&sr=8-8&th=1
You have a problem with starting the car, not body control (doors, windows, seats, etc.). The CANbus for Transmission, Engine, EIS is physically different CAN bus (CAN C bus) rather than body control or CAN B Bus. The creader CAN bus scan tool will not work for your model as there is no CAN bus pin appearances on the OBD2 plug this device comes with.

Many scanners with 38 pin diagnostic port access will be able to provide live data, and CAN bus faults.

Clean the Cable Harness connector from the transmission to the TCM (the one on the right), and make the measurements again on pins 33 and 34, with the gear in P and then with the gear in D or R) with key off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
is there a better way to test them, my multi meter doesnt fit in the connectors holes, ill see if i can slide in the back of it, i was using small copper wires stuck in the holes.
ahh so the port in the main front fuse box is the 38 pin dianostic port i would assume.
so the multi meter should just be on the dcv setting? or the ohms

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
It should be in Ohms setting. First, touch the tips to make sure that the reading is near zero or zero. You can use bare copper wires wrapped around the tips to give you better access. Of course the connector needs to be well cleaned up first of corrosion, else the readings are useless. The diagnostic port is the 38 pin socket on the fuse box at the driver's side. If you had a scanner, you could read the ECU live data to see the P/N start enable status, instead of electrically testing it. You can get Foxwell or Autel with MB program with the 38 pin attachemnt from the vendor.
Here is one example.

FOXWELL NT520 PRO MERCEDES BENZ DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER TOOL MULTIPLEXER 38 PIN CABLE | eBay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
im not very familiar with using the multimeter, so the omega symbol, but which setting from 200- 2000k?
also i just need special elecronic cleaning spray? will i probably need to gourge each hole? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
yes omega symbol. Put it on 2k. when you short the tips to test, the display should change to 0 (zero). You spray the contact cleaner to the connectors on both sides. Let it dry, and check if the white stuff is gone, and you see the metal.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
is there a better way to test them, my multi meter doesnt fit in the connectors holes, ill see if i can slide in the back of it, i was using small copper wires stuck in the holes.
ahh so the port in the main front fuse box is the 38 pin dianostic port i would assume.
so the multi meter should just be on the dcv setting? or the ohms
You need to cut zip tie that holds wires to connector then remove outer cover. That will allow access for thorough cleaning and probing. Never poke into center of connector. Place probe beside it.

IMG_20180903_092658.jpg IMG_20180903_093538.jpg IMG_20180903_092854.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
Worse comes to worst, you could use paper clips, break them and use it to touch the connectors. Do not push into the connectors, physical contact is all it needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
all right!
Got a replacement tcm in the mail, and it started right up!, Gear is indicated on dash.
Now to smog it, will it not pass if its giving a wiperfluid malfuntion? getting a bulb warning and abs warning too, along with the needing to be serviced since somany miles...
Thanks for helpingme trouble shoot this, might need to do some serious detailing to get this car back to par but ill see if its going in limp mode at all when i go to get gas.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Put some water for testing into the washer tank, and check it clears the warning. The ABS is an issue you need to look into, but it will not affect smog testing, but it could be a safety issue. Since you disconnected the battery, so issues may come after few drive cycles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Guy i was selling my fiero to had multimeter handy when i started it up , said it was getting 14~ volts so looks like my alternatorr was fine it was just the missing dash fuse right...hah just got the a refurbished anternator in the mail too, heh guess i got a backup for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I found another tcm in the trunk... i wonder if its a once removed or was just never installed... i saw a youtube video for testing the voltages on the circuit board. Might see if I can restore these. not quite ready to start programming them myself haha

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
What programming are you talking about ? They are plug & play.

·
Registered
68 Posts
all right!
Got a replacement tcm in the mail, and it started right up!, Gear is indicated on dash.
Now to smog it, will it not pass if its giving a wiperfluid malfuntion? getting a bulb warning and abs warning too, along with the needing to be serviced since somany miles...
Thanks for helpingme trouble shoot this, might need to do some serious detailing to get this car back to par but ill see if its going in limp mode at all when i go to get gas.
wiperfluid malfunction, bulb warning and ABS are not looked at for emissions readiness. In order to pass that, secondary air pump system has to be working and the EGR, o2 sensors, are all checked. you need to connect an ELM type device and check torque app before you smog it in my opinion. (youll need a 10$ elm dongle) (essentially same thing you linked for 59$ but its on your phone)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts