Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
The IC, transmission computer (TCM), engine computer (ECU), and the traction module (ETC), and the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) are on the same signaling bus called "CAN bus". If the IC is acting up, it may prevent other modules to talk to each other, therefore, no start. The EIS needs to communicate and handshake with the ECU for a start to happen. I would concentrate on the IC, and find out why it is not lighting up. I asked you to check fuses 4 and 7 and check the voltages on them when the key is in position 2. Have you done it ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
so i got a 12.5 on the 4, looks like 7 is not plugged in. i need to find a diagram showing what amp fuses are suppose to be where, by the looks of it not all are installed...

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
You are looking at the wrong fuse panel. The fuse panel where fuses 4 and 7 for the IC is Under the hood , at the driver's side, under the lid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
ok, checked it 4 had 12.38v but 7 is missing from this box as well... do you know which amp fuse belongs there?

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Try cranking the engine with the shifter is in Neutral. Then Park... try several times to make sure it is not shifter issue.

Do you see the gear selection on the IC with the key in pos 2 as you shift the gears ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
im not seeing anything, where would it be? under the gas gauge? i have to turn the key to pos3 to get out of park.
there might be other fuses missing that go to that? i didnt see an 8 or a 9 in the box.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
im not seeing anything, where would it be? under the gas gauge? i have to turn the key to pos3 to get out of park.
there might be other fuses missing that go to that? i didnt see an 8 or a 9 in the box.
You should definitely need fuse 9 which is for the electronic steering lock. Without it, you will not be able to turn the key.

Let's make it clear
pos 0 = key inserted not turned
pos 1 = key turned one click
pos 2 - key turned another click
pos 3 key turned to crank the engine, then the key goes back to pos 2 (run).

The shifter is powered when the key is in pos 2.

The gear indication is on the bottom right hand side of the IC. You can search for the picture of it on the net for your car model and year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ok 9 was in there, but not starting in neutral. so the shifter is not unlocking in pos 2, i used a pen this time.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
You need to press the brake pedal as you shift.

Take a full picture of the IC (edge to edge) with the key in pos 2.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
Did you spill anything on the shifter? Looks like shifter is defective. Shift indicator is blank.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Deplore is right. You should have P with the shifter in Park, block left of "5:35". Either this, or the TCM is not getting the correct P/N start enable from the conductor plate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
its come to my attention that when i did drive it , it was in whats called limp mode... probably due to the battery but could be that conductor plate you mentioned

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
I think you have been conned. Why would anyone remove the IC fuse #7 out ? To hide the fault indicators that may pop up as you drive ? Wrong fuse will not cause this.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
its come to my attention that when i did drive it , it was in whats called limp mode... probably due to the battery but could be that conductor plate you mentioned
Because the car did not know what the gear selection was. The shifter send a message to the TCM what the driver has selected (P,R,N,D and 1,2,3,4). Mechanically it did, (P,R,N, D) but electronically it did not, so it was implausible.

Or

The shifter is fine, but the TCM is not getting the correct information from the conductor plate. The shifter says it is in P, but the conductor plate P/N indicator says it is not in P or N. So the car will not even start. It could be the conductor plate, it could be ATF contamination in the TCM to transmission adapter plug or contamination in the TCM itself.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts