Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just bought this car, it started and drove,
*(was in limp mode)
it sortof lurched because the previous owner had let the tank run dry,*(also didnt tighten battery +) so we pull into a gas station, but it wouldnt start again. he said the alternator was out but it would still drive
*(was missing fuse for IC, alternator fine),
what would be causeing this? i just bought what i believe to be a starter relay from oreilys,
*(found the right relay at autozone, still didnt start)
is there anotheer fuse or relay to check before i deduce its the startermotor?
*(Starter was fine)
trying to search for specifics for my vehicle is frustrating as fuses are in different places on other models. i hear the k40 module being refferenced but have no idea what im looking for. any tips would be appreciated*(Thanks)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where can i find these fuses?: Starter Circuit, Ignition, EIS, (does anyone have a diagram for an e430?)

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
Check the battery. If the alternator is bad, the energy in the battery may be too low, and the system will not even let you crank. Recharge the battery and (with the key in your pocket) at the charging points (+ signed lid under the hood at the driver's side and a nearby ground stud). Once the battery has enough charge, remove the charger, and try to start the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i removed the battery to charge. does the car have an automated lock on the ignition when it has been disconected or something like an accident?

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
i removed the battery to charge. does the car have an automated lock on the ignition when it has been disconected or something like an accident?
No, but, If the undervoltage or overvoltage conditions occur, the EIS will not power the powertrain modules. No crank, Not even a click.

I suggest you first confirm that the problem is the K40 or starter prior to replacement.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does the k40 look like? i found the fuse in the airconditioning box that is the larger 40 amp fuse was not getting power at all and had whitish powder markings, so maybe something burned out? was goingt to try replacing the $50 relay but is there a fuse for the EIS system?

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
You posted a picture of it in your post 6. It is under the hood at the passenger side . You need to remove the lid for the module box (4 screws), and it it in the module box.

What is the air conditioning box ? What $50 relay ? If the EIS allows you to turn the key, it has power. It does not have a specific fuse.

Check all the fuse on K40 visually, making sure none is blown. If the fuses have power on them with key in position 2, you have power, and not blown, the modules are receiving power.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks, the k40 is what the fuses plug into? the one large fuse was not getting power, the other were fine. i wonder if the the module circuit blew...

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
The 40 amp fuse is for the smog pump and it is OK that it does not have power, as it only is powered when the engine is running and cold. for up to 2 minutes.

K40 is the module name (fuse and relay module).

Is your battery fully charged ?

Do you hear a click from the relay (the black ice cube sized relay near the orange 40 amp fuse) when someone turn the key to start the crank ?

The re is a 2-pin connector next to the big orange fuse marked on the K40 board as G2 or something. Remove it and the try cranking. If it does not work, connect it back. This is for the blower to cool the modules. If stuck sometimes it blows the fuse, and sometimes it does not, but the car will not start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wire plug. It is at the corner where the orange big fuse is (at the short end that looks to the corner of the K40 module).
sorry for asking so many specifics, but if its disconnected would it still start normalyl?

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
If it does, the blower is the problem, If not, something else.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still not starting... not the relays,( either the right or the k40 one) and not the blower either. is it that difficult to acess the gear select switch? what is the specific term used

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Gear select switch in which context ? The one on the conductor plate ?

If you think that the K40 and the module blower are OK and the fuses on K40 (minus 40 amp fuse) have power with key in position 2, you may have a problem with the P/N indicator / ATF temp signal line (maybe due to ATF contamination in the transmission adapter plug or the Transmission Control Module.

Does your shift selector indicator (On the dashboard), P,R,N,D) show correct gear, as you moved the shifter between gears?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats the thing, i think the instrument panel is faulty apart from the computer screen and clock..., only light that comes on is the srs light.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts