Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
What are the differences OTHER than the face lift, steering wheel and instrument cluster?

1. Which is more reliable?
2. Driving characteristics of both?
3. More friendly city driving?
4. The cost of upkeep on both?
5. Which engine is better, the I-6 or the V-6 and which one is smoother and quieter? Which engine has more power?
6. Fuel economy of both cars?
7. Do both require synthetic oil?

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If this is answered before then couldsomeone please post a link? I have tried to search but have come upempty.
Thanks

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts

Same, the 2000 allows manual ship while driving though

Same. The 2000 is newer, so you would less likely have problem

5. Which engine is better, the I-6 or the V-6 and which one is smoother and quieter? Which engine has more power?

V6

About the same

Not required, but recommended

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zam2000 said:

Same, the 2000 allows manual ship while driving though

Same. The 2000 is newer, so you would less likely have problem

V6

About the same

Not required, but recommended
Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Not to argue with zam2000, but a lot of people feel the inline 6 engine is superior to the V-6 (easier to DIY for one thing). I am happy with my V-6, except for it using oil at the moment. However, I do not characterize these engines as bad due to my experience. The jury is still out deciding why I have that problem.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
I think the V6 gets better mpg: it does require synthetic oil though you do benefit from a longer change interval.

The I-6 does not require synthetic oil; this engine seems to need head gaskets with some frequency, enjoys easier to reach spark plugs.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
johnamoss said:
I think the V6 gets better mpg: it does require synthetic oil though you do benefit from a longer change interval.

The I-6 does not require synthetic oil; this engine seems to need head gaskets with some frequency, enjoys easier to reach spark plugs.
John's got you in his sights. Not only are the plugs easier to change on the inline, you only have six of them.

Driving styles vary, but the V6 does seem to consistently get better fuel economy than the I6. I usually see 29-31 on steady highway cruising in the 70-75 range, inline drivers tend to see (from my recollection) about 2 less than that. Not enough to make the difference, but if you care that's a point.

It's easier to change headlights on the pre-facelift model as well, you have to pull the bumper on the 2000 and up. At the same time, though, I appreciate my mirror indicator lights and I like the tails much better.

Whichever one you lean towards, be sure to have it properly inspected by a tech who is well-versed in MB cars. The money you spend here will be repaid to you in spades over your period of ownership.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts