Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a 2000 E320 with 53,000 original miles. It was donated to a charity that sells cars and gives the profits to various charties.

I spoke to the MB dealer and found out why it was donated. It needs a little work. The owner ran somthing over and it need the following:

Uppper/Lower arm

Spindle

Possible rack & pinion

Also needs rear seal replaced because its leaking and Air con compresser is leaking.

Would you consider purchasing this car in its condition & have the repairs done?

Thanks

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Did you not

post this on another forum?
You are talking about thousands of dollars in repairs and who knows what else is wrong.Unless you are an accomplished backyard mechanic or a glutton for punishment,run don't walk to the nearest exit.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Ohlord and "a little work" is an understatement. You were smart enough to first check the condition of the car and now we all know what you might be getting into. You didn't say how much they want for it, but if I were you, I'd pass on this and find one in better condition.

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
Face the facts from your view angle.:) When and under what condition you would donate a car to charity org?
Would you donate your current driving car to them?
I would under one condition if I am self-employee and donated car could be claimed on tax return form, value of the car (broken, needs some work, etc...) is 6000 and I donate to them and get papers that says 11000 or so.:)))
Rich people would not be rich if they give up values like that.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
IFS makes a good point and I thought of that as well after my post. Without the shadow of a doubt, the donor wrote off far more than that car is worth on their taxes. I know of a similar situation here so I will give you an example.

A friend of mine (medical doctor) had a 90's era S500 with roughly 100,000 miles that needed transmission work; other than that it was seemingly in good shape. The buyer who I also know told me it had no reverse until the car warmed up, and the local dealer wanted about $7000 to replace the transmission. He found a guy who got a rebuild kit and had him rolling fot less than $2000. He's happy and still driving the car.

My point is this: I saw the doctor after all of this had transpired and he told me his accountant advised that he sell the car to someone for $1 (not a typo here, that is 100 pennies).

Get the picture? If you ever reappear, pass on that Mercedes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts