Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,678 Posts
And you tested the store-bought ones (pressed the lever and refrigerant comes out from the end of the charge hose)?

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It seems to be taking it now. Gave one more prayer and compressor kicked on. Looks to be going in.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Are you still manually engaging the compressor ? Set to max cool and open the windows. Check the pressure sensor reading (07).

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No I am not engaging the compressor. Seems to be working and I can not thank you enough. My wife thanks you too. I tell everyone I talk to about cars how helpful this forum is. God Bless all of you and be safe. If something else comes up with this I will let everyone know.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
No I am not engaging the compressor. Seems to be working and I can not thank you enough. My wife thanks you too. I tell everyone I talk to about cars how helpful this forum is. God Bless all of you and be safe. If something else comes up with this I will let everyone know.
Great :). Hope you and your wife enjoy the cool a/c.

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok a littel quick on the victory dance. Last night went well but didn't have enough refrigerant so rallied back this evening and couldnt get the desired coolness. Didn't seem like it wanted to take the proper amount of refrig. So here is the list of codes from tonight.
(1) 78 (2) 71 (3) was 120 on one check then next was 74
(4) 123 first check then 91 (5) 82 (6) 195
(7) 04 (8) 71 (9) 27 (10) 60 then .8 (11) 2.4
(12) 4.2 (20) 3.2 (21) 32 (22) 00 (23) 32 (24) 11.5
(40) 164 (41) 85 (42) 44 (43) 152

The compressor would not kick off either during this.

Gauges showed Low side 78 and High side 100

Do you think there is a blockage in lines?
Do you think the evaporators need to be changed?
Leak?
Do you think need to throw in towel??? Just Kidding

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
I knew you would come back :).

You really need to take readings with the engine running, set the cooling to max and let it run for 5 minutes or so, and then take the readings when the engine is running. Does the compressor start when you start the engine with the a/c on then stop? or it does not want to start at all ?

Take special note in the reading of sensor 7 (refrigerant pressure).

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The compressor comes on when car starts with ac on. Does not cut off. I know how to check readings with car off but do not with car running..

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
OK. There is no difference in the procedure. Just follow the attached starting from item 2 ( engine running in Park, a/c is on).

STAR TekInfo

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Please put the complete readings 1 to 43 after the car running 5 minutes. Check changes sensor 7 till then. I want to see what the other sensors are reading too. 7 should be reading 11 to 14 for sufficient coolness. Set the target temps to max cooling.

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
(1) 80 (2) 93 (3) 84
(4) 82 (5) 82 (6) 191
(7) 07 (8) 94 (9) 30 (10) 60
(11) 2.5 (12) 4.3 (20) 3.2
(21) 42 (22) 00 (23) 32 (24) 13.5
(40) 164 (41) 85 (42) 40 (43) 152

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Great, thanks. Obviously the compressor is not compressing as it should. It is "free-wheeling" so to speak, meaning the pistons inside run with very little displacement.

Withe the original compressor, as I said you had the refrigerant code as well as clutch code. My guess is the a/c lost refrigerant and oil (maybe a leak through the compressor seals), and the the compressor seized and blew the clutch coil fuse to protect the belt. You can check the old compressor to confirm (turn the hub with with a 10 mm wrench, clock-wise. It should turn at least once), that it seized. When the compressor is seized, it may spew out metal particles into the lines and can cause blockage in the lines, even at the expansion valve. You flush the lines, evaporator core, and replace the expansion valve along with the drier and the compressor. It is also possible that you have a defective compressor (suction control valve). I have come across several budget Chinese ones that were dead on arrival. That is why the genuine Denso is my choice (the MB one is far too expensive).

You can try force-feeding the system but it is not going to help. Flush lines, replace expansion valve, flush evap core. Vacuum and refill. I would consider replacing the compressor with Denso that you had ordered.

BTW your #7 sensor = 07 bars = 101.5 psi which is right on the money with the manifold gauge reading (100). So the sensor is fine.

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just to keep you updated. I have disassembled to get to the expansion valve. Talked to Autohauz to try and get the correct Denso compressor to replace the Napa one. Seems like a issue with part numbers for the correct compressor. They were very helpful and hope to have it Mid-week. Will flush lines prior to replacing all.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
This section too often runs into phobia with AC topics and even I did not read all the replies, how did you come to conclusion that compressor is bad?
From what I see - the proper troubleshooting procedure was never followed.
This is another of those "garbage in, garbage out" discussion.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Just to keep you updated. I have disassembled to get to the expansion valve. Talked to Autohauz to try and get the correct Denso compressor to replace the Napa one. Seems like a issue with part numbers for the correct compressor. They were very helpful and hope to have it Mid-week. Will flush lines prior to replacing all.
Be careful replacing the expansion valve. Have a look at the link below.

Removing A/C Expansion Valve on W210

·
Registered
'00 e320 wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This section too often runs into phobia with AC topics and even I did not read all the replies, how did you come to conclusion that compressor is bad?
From what I see - the proper troubleshooting procedure was never followed.
This is another of those "garbage in, garbage out" discussion.
It was taken to a garage to figure out what was wrong and to see what it would cost to fix.. They said compressor...
I do appreciate all the help on here and what everyone adds.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
You are choosing to ignore some advise.
When this is Internet and wild, wild west, you can get misleading advise and you can get good advise.
So this is your due intelligence to figure it out.
So what I read in this thread, you did not manage to feed refrigerant into the system, yet you decided to force compressor to engage.
The way I see it, you forced the compressor to run without flow of oil, meaning likely you killed it.
Still it is all work blindfolded. Would you do proper testing per Mercedesmedic links in stickies, at least you'd have idea what is going on.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts