Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon, 1989 420 S, 2005 S55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. Wife's 2000 E320 4matic, 186K, dies after cold start when first engaged in gear. can happen several times without jumping from brake to accelerator quickly enough (fun getting out of garage to burn a little rubber). No codes, and problem disappears when warm. Smooth idle at start, cold or warm. And, somewhat intermittent problem - doesn't always die. Central CA coast car, so not freezing cold start. Ran Techron 2 times, use premium fuel, fresh plugs\air filters\etc. Burnt an hour's time at the dealer and they were mystified - but offered to burn more hours of course diagnosing....:surrender:

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Remmber "cold" for you still isn't the "cold" others talk about Midwest/East.

If it was me, I would try a affordable thing, that it it didn't work I would still feel better about the car at that mileage; replace the brake light switch.

I would also consider replacing the Bosch fuel filter and the hose clamps back there, but that's me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not cold

Yup, definitely is not a cold place.

Sorry, I did replace fuel filter in earlier attempt to correct - dealer also inspected injectors but didn't give me a list of what they evaluated. They also note no related codes. Sorry, but don't understand what brake light switch has to do with cold idle kill - am I missing something? Happy to jump on that one but don't understand the connection.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Have you changed the ATF? Any chance the TC could be hanging when cold and bogging the engine or does it not feel that way?

Otherwise I'd be thinking vacuum leak or maybe sticking EGR. At that mileage you should order the breather hoses (there are four) and reseal the breather covers and change every vacuum line under there, and be sure to check all vacuum devices to be sure they hold vacuum. And don't forget vacuum check valves, they can fail too. You'll have to pull the air intake plumbing (back to the manifold) to do it all so check it for cracks or leaks, too. While it's all off, be sure to clean the throttle butterfly, that can get dirty and cause issues, too.

That's all well within the DIY capabilities of most folks, and it's a good thing because it's about $50 in parts and many hundreds in labor. Good thing: it's cheap and just takes time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much, Gregs210. Good list for a Sunday; sounds like the vacuum check valves will have to be dealership on Monday. Tranny was serviced some time ago when CV boots were re-done on warranty - not sure if timing coincided with problem - have to check records. TC doesn't feel like it's bogging; feels more like my old RX-7 Mazda when shifting into gear or turning on ac compressor - some idle relay would kick up the idle to compensate - in this case the idle just dips down when the tranny engages and dies. Have driven other E Class's that were "surge-y" when shifting into gear and sort of reminds me of that.
OK, off to pull the air intake plumbing and start checking\changing.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
My '99 has been doing the same thing for the last 3 winters. I have never found out why. If I let it warm up for 5 minutes it is fine. Only does it the first start up befor i drive it. If I can get the gas and brake just right it will go. I changed a couple of sensors that this board suggested and checked all my vac lines, etc. Other than this one issue it has been a great car.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thanks much, Gregs210. Good list for a Sunday; sounds like the vacuum check valves will have to be dealership on Monday. Tranny was serviced some time ago when CV boots were re-done on warranty - not sure if timing coincided with problem - have to check records. TC doesn't feel like it's bogging; feels more like my old RX-7 Mazda when shifting into gear or turning on ac compressor - some idle relay would kick up the idle to compensate - in this case the idle just dips down when the tranny engages and dies. Have driven other E Class's that were "surge-y" when shifting into gear and sort of reminds me of that.
OK, off to pull the air intake plumbing and start checking\changing.
The vacuum check valves are just little plastic things that plug into a vacuum line. You can check them easily enough, un-plug them, then suck on the end. If it does not hold vacuum, it's bad. Usually there is a little arrow that shows the accepted direction of flow. No reason to let the dealership check those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts