Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 2000 CLK430 Cabriolet and even though winter’s approaching in Toronto, I’m loving this car! Can't wait for Spring.......
139,000kms, no rust what-so-ever, very clean and in great condition over all.
I’ll post better pics soon.

A few issues:
-radio reads “NO CD CHANGER. (I’ve checked all connections and everything seems ok, maybe radio crapped out?)
-an occasional rattle-clakin noise coming from rear trunk when top is up (maybe loose bracket?)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same vehicle and same CD changer issue. It hasn't bothered me since adding an iPhone hookup, but I want everything working regardless. Let me know if you find a solution. I have taken it out, cleaned and re-installed, then run a CD cleaner disc. Worked for a while, but now nothing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a 2000 CLK430 Cabriolet and even though winter’s approaching in Toronto, I’m loving this car! Can't wait for Spring.......
139,000kms, no rust what-so-ever, very clean and in great condition over all.
I’ll post better pics soon.

A few issues:
-radio reads “NO CD CHANGER. (I’ve checked all connections and everything seems ok, maybe radio crapped out?)
-an occasional rattle-clakin noise coming from rear trunk when top is up (maybe loose bracket?)
Not being a wise guy, but have you looked in the trunk, passenger rear quarter panel, to verify that you have a changer ? Also, lots of folks have installed modern radios, and you can find their old CD changers on ebay for short money. As I recall, original changer was about $700.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, there's a changer there! I actually removed it from the car last night and took it apart to clean the inside. I cleaned all the connections (pwr & fiber op) and disconnected the radio for about 1/2hr. Still nothing!
It seems like the radio is the culprit. It's not sending the signal (fiber optic)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh yea, there's a changer there! I actually removed it from the car last night and took it apart to clean the inside. I cleaned all the connections (pwr & fiber op) and disconnected the radio for about 1/2hr. Still nothing!
It seems like the radio is the culprit. It's not sending the signal (fiber optic)?
Did your CD changer ever works for you in the past and suddenly the system couldn't find the changer?

I encounterd "No CD Changer" situation occasionaly when I switched between radio/cassette/CD mode. I have to turn the car off, remove the cartridge out of the CD changer, which I believe caused a system reset. Start the car and the problem will go away.

It does not happens much so its just an inconvenience as long as the reset get me back the CD in operation mode. I have remove the head unit to check for loose connection but all are very well secure. Can't establish the real cause of the problem. At least I have a work around for now:confused:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the car last week and the previous owner told me that it stopped working years ago. He just didn’t bother
with it because he never really listened to cds. I personally think that the radio is the one with the problem? One of
my buddies is going to lend me his OEM radio tomorrow to try it out. I’ll definitely keep you guys posted.

I also want to remove the menu and + - buttons from the steering wheel so I can clean them. Do they just snap off?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just bought the car last week and the previous owner told me that it stopped working years ago. He just didn’t bother
with it because he never really listened to cds. I personally think that the radio is the one with the problem? One of
my buddies is going to lend me his OEM radio tomorrow to try it out. I’ll definitely keep you guys posted.

I also want to remove the menu and + - buttons from the steering wheel so I can clean them. Do they just snap off?
Thanks guys
Is changing the factory head unit an option for you? I have seen threads here with success story for swapping out the MB unit for other brand which can play MP3 disks and some with AUX input to connect to external device(ipoid, iphone, ipad, playbook, netbook you name it..) Mind you not a changer but you can swap disk without opening the truck..

Another shortfall is that non MB head unit does not have the fibre optic connector to hook up to the fibre optic cable of the vehicle. Thus you cannot control the unit using the buttons on the steering wheels. Just a bit inconvenience but having an AUX input and maybe blue tooth capability is definite a welcome alternative.

I want to keep things stock so I did not pursue the non MB head unit option.

I notice that you are from the same vicinity that I reside in. Are you in GTA area or the suburbs?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, got some info on the “No Cd Changer” issue.
I took apart the cd changer and completely cleaned and lubricated everything internally. Re-installed and nothing!
So now I’m thinking it’s the radio (not sending a fiber optic signal)?
Last night a good friend of mine sold me a Mercedes Alpine 10 cd radio which has a single cd and fiber optic connection for a cd changer.
Guess what? The changer works amazing, plus I have an extra cd slot up front and my steering wheel controls work great too.
So in the end, the radio was the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok guys, got some info on the “No Cd Changer” issue.
I took apart the cd changer and completely cleaned and lubricated everything internally. Re-installed and nothing!
So now I’m thinking it’s the radio (not sending a fiber optic signal)?
Last night a good friend of mine sold me a Mercedes Alpine 10 cd radio which has a single cd and fiber optic connection for a cd changer.
Guess what? The changer works amazing, plus I have an extra cd slot up front and my steering wheel controls work great too.
So in the end, the radio was the culprit.
Great news. :thumbsup:

Does it play MP3?

Do you mind sharing how much you pay for that. Does your friend has another one for sale?

Check the AM frequency, does it set to North American AM band frequency?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No unfortunately it doesn't play mp3's. I'm good with cds though!
I don't think he has anything else, but I'll ask him tonight.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No unfortunately it doesn't play mp3's. I'm good with cds though!
I don't think he has anything else, but I'll ask him tonight.
Does your Audio 10 head unit capable of controlling the CD changer in your trunk?

If it does, it provides a very functional setup. I like having the choice to swap CD using the slot in the head unit and having 6 CDs in the CD changer as reserve. Just don't want to leave CDs lying around the car when the car top is down and not wasting the CD changer's function...

Saw a similar Audio 10 unit selling in ebay claiming that the AM frequency is tune to North Amercian(10 MHz) range. Thats an important feature. I have another head unit which I picked up from ebay a few years ago which only tune to European AM frequency using 9 MHz instead of 10 MHz step up.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea yea, I love it. The unit controls the cd changer. FM channels are fine and it also has RDS which is pretty cool too....I haven't checked the AM freq., but I don't really listen to AM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yea yea, I love it. The unit controls the cd changer. FM channels are fine and it also has RDS which is pretty cool too....I haven't checked the AM freq., but I don't really listen to AM.
Good news. I have to look for one now... lol

I tune to AM680 to follow traffic report, AM590 for sport events scoring. Tune in AM679 for AM680 works too.

What does RDS give you?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good news. I have to look for one now... lol

I tune to AM680 to follow traffic report, AM590 for sport events scoring. Tune in AM679 for AM680 works too.

What does RDS give you?
Brought Audio 10 CD unit from ebay and it arrived yesterday. Reasonable cost for less than CDN$300 including shipping. No tarriff this time, guess I luck out this time.

I like this unit very much. Controls on steering wheel all working flawlessly. The CD changer in the trunk integrates well with this head unit. AM waveband also set for North America standards.

Finally able to retire my ancient cassette audio tapes collection from the vehicle. I kept the tapes in the compartment under the armrest, now I can reclaim some precious storge space there.

RDS - is a method of transmitting inaudible supplementary information in the FM(VHF?) audio waveband. This enables a station to transmit information e.g. station name or alternative frequencies on which it can also be received.
Neat feature that I like.

Don't know how the region mode or Traffic Program (TP) works. It was late last night after swapping the headunits and don't have time to explore these functions yet.

All in all, this is a very functional unit and a MUST replace for the one that come original with the car. Highly recommend mods if you want to have the ability to swap CD without having to open the trunck to do so. I know some people feel that CD is on its way out just like the 8 tracks(!!) and cassette, but I am not too keen on MP3 quaility yet. Its just me.... see below for MP3 support.

My next challenge is to see how to modify the headunit so that I can add an aux input to the unit for ipod/netbook audio input to play MP3 tunes. I have done that with the headunit for 96 E320(which is not fibreoptics connected) to toggle between playing CD and getting audio input from external devices using a toggle switch setup. If anyone has better and straight forward method to modifiy Audio 10 CD head unit without getting into the guts of the electronics to support AUX input, please post and share ideas on DIY how to here. Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts