Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Very new to the forums as well as very new to Mercedes in general, but man I fell hard for this car!

Since I know almost nothing about these cars, I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me through this.

I am looking to purchase a 2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430 coupe w/ AMG package. It is silver with black interior (so gorgeous!) and 101,000 miles. This is a one owner car and has a clean Carfax. I believe they are asking around 8-9k for it currently.

So a couple things...

A) Does that seem like a reasonable price? I look at KBB and it appears to be around that range. ClearBook has it listed around 7-8k.

B) Is there anything from that year / model I should be aware of or look for while test driving and have a mechanic look at it? I have seen from other posts to look out for engine mounts going out etc around that mileage / year combo as well as timing belts (at the 200k range).

C) What is your experience with that car? good / bad? If I expect to just get a few years out of it, is that a realistic goal? (it would be the second car, primary car is a 2012 Dodge "Man Van" Caravan. This would be something for fun and to and from work.

Thank you in advance and look forward to speaking with you soon!

Cheers!

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Welcome to the W208 forum. Do a search in the forum here. There's pages of info on buying tips.
Here's another tip. Carfax's aren't worth squat. You can have multiple accidents Unrecorded.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430 Coupe, 1987 560 SEC, 240,000 miles, lowered, still a very nice car
106 Posts
It's not a can of worms, there is no model CLK430 AMG. The 430 has AMG rims and a different lower body cladding package that's it. The hot car with the killer engine is the CLK 55. Look that up in KBB, you'll see a big difference. The car you're looking at is the same as mine, a CLK430. Don't even put the letters AMG in your mind, doesn't exist. Great car, I love mine. Fwiw I just paid $7,500 last December for mine with 130K on it and in great overall condition. 8-8,500 with less miles should be about right but remember condition is everything. Mine is original paint, never been hit, I had it up on a rack the underside is bone dry and all the maintenance is current. If you can't confirm all of that with the car you're looking at start deducting from the price.

I agree with the comment about Carfax. A good friend of mine has a penchant for fender benders. She's had 3 accidents with her Lexus over the last 2 years. The first one went through her insurance but the last two she made a deal with the other party and paid everything out of pocket including her car so her rates wouldn't skyrocket. No Carfax for those.

Either inpect the car yourself if you know what to look for or take it to someone who does.

Bob

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Convertible
6 Posts
Good morning.
I own a 2000 CLK430 "AMG" (See quotes) (Convertible) and really enjoying it!
I bought it for a lot less than everyone in this forum but that's besides the point. The seller wanted to impress with this AMG talk. I told him OMG stop it!
Let's make a deal base on the car mileage (90, 000), condition, etc.
Anyway, I ended up with it and really loving it. About the problems to come, I will worry about that when the time comes. All cars are bound to have some issues after a certain amount of miles.
For now Enjoy the ride, stay on top of maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my clk430 convertable with 46k was donated by my aunt man need some work but car drives and shift smooth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts