Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Clk430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there. so i have a 2000 clk430 and it wont start. i was driving all day yesterday and it ran and started fine. i parked it last night and went to start it this morning and it wont turn over or start. the radio and lights turn on but the car just wont turn over.. i had a problem like this about 2months ago and it was a ground cable but it was giving me battery/alternator malfunction. so i was just wondering if anyone had a problem like this and if you could please help thanks.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
It could be the crankshaft position sensor or a fuel pump, I had a similar problem. What happened with my car was I got it to turn over, and it would run but as soon as it would warm up the car would just die. Afterward I wouldn't be able to turn the car back up until it cooled down, I thought it was the CPS, but it turned out to be the fuel pump for me. Do you have a mechanic that you can take it to? I had to flat bed my car over to my mechanic.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It's neither a fuel pump nor a CPS. In either of those cases the car will crank (turn over) just fine, but it won't start.

Since you're not even cranking, I'll bet your battery is dead. (The computer won't even tell the starter to try if voltage is too low, so of course your lights and radio still work fine...it takes LOTS more power to spin the starter.) If you've never replaced it, it's time.

MB roadside assist will come and replace it for just the cost of the battery, about $150, but no labor. There are other batteries available for a bit less ($100-120 range) but you'll have to go get it and replace it yourself, and then run the resets.

MB RA will also jump you for free, so get on the horn. Good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
i tryed giving the car a boost and it still didnt start?
wouldnt the car start even with a boost?
To be a bit honest, you're scaring me a little. Did you follow the steps in the owner's manual? It's not like a Ford that you can just hook it up and give it a shot. If you had the key in the ignition when you connected the jumper leads you could have fried some expensive components.

That said, if the battery is sufficiently low, you need very robust cables and a good supply for a jump to work. Otherwise it's just like not doing it at all.

MB Roadside assist will not charge you to come out and jump it. Please stop taking chances with the car. If they try to jump it and say that's not it, then you can look at other possibilities.

Also, please click USER CP and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information.

·
Registered
2000 Clk430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am in edmonton alberta canada so i dont think MB has roadside here. the car is waiting for a tow truck and gonna be on its way to the mechanic shop. i hope its an easy fix wish me luck.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
It's neither a fuel pump nor a CPS. In either of those cases the car will crank (turn over) just fine, but it won't start.

Since you're not even cranking, I'll bet your battery is dead. (The computer won't even tell the starter to try if voltage is too low, so of course your lights and radio still work fine...it takes LOTS more power to spin the starter.) If you've never replaced it, it's time.

MB roadside assist will come and replace it for just the cost of the battery, about $150, but no labor. There are other batteries available for a bit less ($100-120 range) but you'll have to go get it and replace it yourself, and then run the resets.

MB RA will also jump you for free, so get on the horn. Good luck.
I stand corrected. You, Marcus and the other knowledgeable tech heads need to post on here more often! :bowdown:

·
Registered
2000 Clk430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for ur help i just dont have the time to look at it myself right now so i will keep you update on what it was/is when i talk to the mechanic tomorrow. thanks again

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
i am in edmonton alberta canada so i dont think MB has roadside here. the car is waiting for a tow truck and gonna be on its way to the mechanic shop. i hope its an easy fix wish me luck.
You're right, my apologies. Have the tow guy try jumping it, they usually have pretty effective equipment--but be sure to use the connection points under the hood and make sure the key stays in your pocket until the leads are connected.

And I always wish good luck...we all need it!!! :)

·
Registered
2000 Clk430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright that sounds good. so it is 100% safe to boost it from under the hood and then once the cbales are conected you can use the keys to try and start the car?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
A bit late now.. but I would have listened for relay clicks when starting the engine. There should be a click from the starter relay (K40/4 k2) under the hood, and a click from the starter solenoid, under the car. If these relays work, either the battery or the starter is toast. Could also be an EIS (ignition switch) fault.

·
Registered
2000 Clk430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my brother said he heard two clicks when you would try and start it. coming from the dash area. the tow truck driver also tryed to boost it from under the hood and it wouldnt go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts