Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S600
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting problem on this car. The vehicle came to us after visiting several other area MBZ private shops. The ABS Control Unit had been replaced, along with the rear S.A.M. and the brake light switch. Anytime the key was switched on, the brake lights came on and stayed on.

I did not use a very scientific approach to this problem.

Step one (for me) was to check brake light switch adjustment and it was correct.

Next, I pulled the ESP/PML/BAS to look for a bad/corroded connection and noted it was VERY hot to the touch. We had one on the shelf with the same part numbers (031 545 09 32 Q02) so I swapped it in.

Problem solved.

Hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting problem on this car. The vehicle came to us after visiting several other area MBZ private shops. The ABS Control Unit had been replaced, along with the rear S.A.M. and the brake light switch. Anytime the key was switched on, the brake lights came on and stayed on.

I did not use a very scientific approach to this problem.

Step one (for me) was to check brake light switch adjustment and it was correct.

Next, I pulled the ESP/PML/BAS to look for a bad/corroded connection and noted it was VERY hot to the touch. We had one on the shelf with the same part numbers (031 545 09 32 Q02) so I swapped it in.

Problem solved.

Hope this helps!!!!
I have same problem, changed Switch and ESP/PML/BAS but not luck. Can you help?

·
Registered
2007 S600
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s a CL500 C215
First things first....check the fuses for the ESP. On a W220, that would be fuses #2 and #34. This is the #1 cause - and most overlooked reason - for the brake lights coming on and staying on when the ignition is turned on.

The system is designed to activate the brake lamps as a safety feature when one or more components is not operating properly. I have seen several where the fuse failed and that was the only problem. Sometimes, people/shops put a lower rated fuse in the wrong place and there is no electrical fault.

I would check the part number on your control unit to be sure you have the right one. We have not had good fortune with used control units. The ESP in the W220 is about $2,100.00 retail brand new, but I have seen several on E-bay - brand new and in Mercedes-Benz packaging - for around $1,000. There is a brand new on on E-bay right now, still in the box for $500.00.

All the best,

Akbar Service

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Akbar,
Just checked fuse #2 (50A) NO POWER TO IT. And can’t find fuse 34 Appreciate your kind help. Regards Minaz

·
Registered
18 Posts
First things first....check the fuses for the ESP. On a W220, that would be fuses #2 and #34. This is the #1 cause - and most overlooked reason - for the brake lights coming on and staying on when the ignition is turned on.

The system is designed to activate the brake lamps as a safety feature when one or more components is not operating properly. I have seen several where the fuse failed and that was the only problem. Sometimes, people/shops put a lower rated fuse in the wrong place and there is no electrical fault.

I would check the part number on your control unit to be sure you have the right one. We have not had good fortune with used control units. The ESP in the W220 is about $2,100.00 retail brand new, but I have seen several on E-bay - brand new and in Mercedes-Benz packaging - for around $1,000. There is a brand new on on E-bay right now, still in the box for $500.00.

All the best,

Akbar Service
Hi Akbar,
Just checked fuse #2 (50A) NO POWER TO IT. And can’t find fuse 34 Appreciate your kind help. Regards Minaz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Day Everyone

i got same lights on CL500 2007 saying
“ESP Inoperative, See Owners Manual”
&
“Run Flat Indicator Inoperative”

i have Gone through hundreds of Videos regarding this issue and had took my car to many workshops but all are failed to fix it.

i have even changed my ABS aswell but its same

the point is mostly Mercedes got Brake Light Switch under the Panel near the Brake Paddle

but my car dnt have such switch over there and i have seen the whole area.

your Quick response will be a Big help for me

please help me :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good Day Everyone

i got same lights on CL500 2007 saying
“ESP Inoperative, See Owners Manual”
&
“Run Flat Indicator Inoperative”

i have Gone through hundreds of Videos regarding this issue and had took my car to many workshops but all are failed to fix it.

i have even changed my ABS aswell but its same

the point is mostly Mercedes got Brake Light Switch under the Panel near the Brake Paddle

but my car dnt have such switch over there and i have seen the whole area.

your Quick response will be a Big help for me

please help me :(
Hi,
First is check all the fuses on the left side of the car and also worth changing the brake light pedal switch. I had same results with garages but with kind help here, it’s sorted with fuse after spending weeks and hundreds.. please let us know how you get on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts