Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
C-230K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2000 C280 about 7 yrs ago; and it was one my best car. As it aged a few problems show up here and there. The latest one is AC related. The AC system stop working few months back - no air flow, no cold air at all. As I replaced the air blower relay and now it working fine; but this is not the end of story. The cold air only flow some of the time - it is on and off. It's either VERY COLD, or not cold at all (just blowing room temp smelly air). If it's still blowing cold air from time to time; my guess is the compressor unit still kind of functioning. But what's make it stop? Or not kick in for a while (like first 10mins of driving)? Please help!!!!

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Does your car have the digital control for the ac? If it does, you can go into the diagnostics and look for codes related to the ac function. There is also a troublesome little sensor under the dash in the evaporator housing that is supposed to sense the evaporator freezing up and then cycle off the compressor. That part seems to fail a lot and the system thinks its frozen and you know the rest. Good thing is its a 37 dollar part and fairly easy to replace. Search here for "evaporator temperature sensor" or evap temp sensor and you should find out all you need to troubleshoot and fix it (if it is this problem). I also found clearing the codes on the ac seems to help it stay running, at least if it is in the "lo" mode.

·
Registered
C-230K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does have digital control. I will check that secret menu. Which code I should look for? Also, how to clear the codes? Please advice... thanks a ton!!!

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
Got my 2000 C280 about 7 yrs ago; and it was one my best car. As it aged a few problems show up here and there. The latest one is AC related. The AC system stop working few months back - no air flow, no cold air at all. As I replaced the air blower relay and now it working fine; but this is not the end of story. The cold air only flow some of the time - it is on and off. It's either VERY COLD, or not cold at all (just blowing room temp smelly air). If it's still blowing cold air from time to time; my guess is the compressor unit still kind of functioning. But what's make it stop? Or not kick in for a while (like first 10mins of driving)? Please help!!!!
Are there certain conditions that make the air go from very cold to not cold, also what temps are you seeing on your coolant temp gauge?

NP

·
Registered
C-230K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Aquinob!

Are there certain conditions that make the air go from very cold to not cold, also what temps are you seeing on your coolant temp gauge?

NP
No - it's like someone just flips a switch and the AC is on - it could happens on a cold day, warm day, moving or not. I try to step on the gas to make the AC kick in but no luck; and usually it is not on at warm days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts