Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 C230 and want to upgrade the sound of the stereo. I don't really want to change the head unit since I sunk the cash into the MB cd changer. I would also like to stay under $1000 (but would spend more if necessary).<br>
<br>
I wasn't sure if it would be best to just get new speakers, if an amp would be good or if new speakers, an amp and a subwoofer would be needed. Also, I can't seem to find the specs as to how many speakers are currently in the car and where they are positioned.<br>
<br>
Help?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A simple upgrade would be to add an external amp and a sub.

You can do this by tapping the ouput of the stock amp to the rear speakers.<br> <br> Do you have BOSE by any chance ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: A simple upgrade would be to add an external amp and a sub.

No, I don't have a Bose, I just have the standard one. Wish I did buy the Bose though. <br>
<br>
Do you know if replacing the head unit does much difference or is it adequate to just add an amp and sub? <br>
<br>
Also, do you know where the speakers located and what sizes they are?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of the locations of non-bose speakers...

If you do plan to change the head-unit, then you might as well change everything else.<br> <br> The bose system isn't that great, well audio is very personal, I'm just not impressed by it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Not sure of the locations of non-bose speakers...

So, do you know where they are and the sizes of the Bose system? I assume they must be similar.<br>
<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Not sure of the locations of non-bose speakers...

2 tweeters on front door (by the side mirrors)<br> 2 speakers at the bottom of front doors<br> 2 coaxial speakers in rear door (a tweeter and a 6.5' mid-range speaker)<br> 1 mid-range speaker in central air diffuser<br> 1 subwoofer in the back (the other shelf housing is the first aid box)<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best bang for your buck would be to first replace the speakers and the amp as Frank said.

After that, if you still find the sound quality lacking, then replace the head unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts