Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help I have a 2000 c230 that recently started to misfire according to the compter in cyl 2 and 4. I ordered 1 new coil and have just replaced plugs using NGK's BKUR6ET-10. The old plugs looked original(107000 on odo). This did not help as engine is still lumping along at idle. I do have 1 coil on order but I was wondering if motor needs time to run with new plugs or if I have to replace both coils. I find it hard to believe both coils would fail at same time. Also do I have to do anything to make check engine light go out or will it do it on its own. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,739 Posts
if the plugs were the problem the engine wouldn't need much time to reset. i would recommend re-reading/resetting the codes. you should do this now and see what codes you get again if the problem(s) aren't the plugs. you should have seen a marked improvement by now if the plugs were it.

CEL goes away after the problem is fixed, after a few miles of driving or in the case of a bad MAF it is immediate. You should reset the codes for free at most autozone or advance auto. this way you are keeping track of codes and repairs simultaneously.

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks W202. I have been seeing MAF as an acronym a lot care to fill me in on what it means-Thanks. By the way I changed the plugs and they were the original with the car but it was still shaky at idle but I did not drive it I will go to autozone in morning to see if it straightens it out.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,739 Posts
Mass Air Flow sensor. monitors the volume, temp, density, etc, of air entering the engine. it is on the passenger side connected to the air box. MAFs and O2 sensors are a bitch on the engine when they go bad. but you will usually get codes saying they are bad. you may have other issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts