Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perfectly working car,went to cat wash power washed engine while car was running then the car started running real rough an lights started flickering, then turned car off.Now the car won't start. The key is engaging but nothing else. I took the starter out an had it tested but starter is good! Now my window won't roll up. But the lights an seats have power .I'm clueless can someone please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perfectly working car,went to cat wash power washed engine while car was running then the car started running real rough an lights started flickering, then turned car off.Now the car won't start. The key is engaging but nothing else. I took the starter out an had it tested but starter is good! Now my window won't roll up. But the lights an seats have power .I'm clueless can someone please help.
2000 s500 benz

·
Registered
2003 S430
2,419 Posts
Obvious first guess is that you got water somewhere that it shouldn't be.

Under the hood, at each rear corner next to the fenders, there are two closed black plastic boxes. These should be closed, sealed and locked (simple slide locks, not key locks), and thus should be waterproof. These boxes are two of the car's SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) units. They contain lower-level computers and control modules, fuses and relays. Check to see if either or both are open or unsealed. If they are wet, you have to get them dried out completely.

Under the hood, near the base of the right side of the windshield, there is a large black plastic grille. This is the air intake for the HVAC system. If you got enough water in thru that grille, and the small drain at the bottom of the funnel is blocked, the water can overflow thru the firewall and enter the area underneath the carpet and padding. You will NOT see or feel water on the top of the carpet. This water can run all the way to the rear seat area, causing water and corrosion damage to the electrical circuits and major fuses under the carpets. If this is your problem, you MUST get the entire area thoroughly dried out ASAP, or you will be facing continuing, and increasingly serious electrical problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Under the hood, at each rear corner next to the fenders, there are two closed black plastic boxes. These should be closed, sealed and locked (simple slide locks, not key locks), and thus should be waterproof. These boxes are two of the car's SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) units. They contain lower-level computers and control modules, fuses and relays. Check to see if either or both are open or unsealed. If they are wet, you have to get them dried out completely.

Under the hood, near the base of the right side of the windshield, there is a large black plastic grille. This is the air intake for the HVAC system. If you got enough water in thru that grille, and the small drain at the bottom of the funnel is blocked, the water can overflow thru the firewall and enter the area underneath the carpet and padding. You will NOT see or feel water on the top of the carpet. This water can run all the way to the rear seat area, causing water and corrosion damage to the electrical circuits and major fuses under the carpets. If this is your problem, you MUST get the entire area thoroughly dried out ASAP, or you will be facing continuing, and increasingly serious electrical problems.

Ok we replaced the Sam unit an still the same thing I'm gonna look under the back seats an check it out thank u so much if there's anything else you can think of please share you where such a blessing to me! Thank u again

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,779 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum :)

I cannot believe you Power-washed it, but hey ho we all make mistakes ;) ...............

If you just keep buying parts and throwing them at it you could likely spend mega $$$$

Stay well away from Main Dealers

This Car needs a pro operator with SDS, not Snap On, not ICarsoft,. not $50 OBD junk etc etc.

When replacing Modules you also need that machine to at very least check Version Codings, and then adjust as needs be, do not be fooled by the "if the part number is the same it is fine brigade" they are talking tosh ..................... Sometimes yes, but it is a lottery that can cause further issues !!

If you don't have a good Mercedes Indie near you then a basic clone C3 SDS system will run approx $500, and you will likely save a small fortune over this and future jobs :)

If you can get it on SDS, full read and post screen shots of everything we can advise you where to start first ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,301 Posts
Nothing wrong with pressure washing an engine - even in a w220. I do it once a year on my cars and never once had a problem. My method is this:

1: Get car fully up to temp - shut off engine
2: Disconnect battery
3: Apply detergents etc and pressure rinse off all areas whilst the motor is still hot
4: Immediately use a leaf blower or compressed air to dry everything off
5: Leave the hood up for at least an hour so the residual heat can remove all moisture.
6: Re-connect battery and that's it.

All other points in post #03 are great for the OPs situation

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,779 Posts
Post # 10 ??????????????

Not everyone understands what and what not to blast with pressure washer, etc etc ..............

I stand by my advice, Don't do it !! ;)

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,301 Posts
Post # 10 ??????????????

Not everyone understands what and what not to blast with pressure washer, etc etc ..............

I stand by my advice, Don't do it !! ;)
Oops - corrected now I meant post number 3 :)

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,510 Posts
Absolutely do not wash your w220 engine unless you know exactly what you are doing and what areas you are spraying !! This can easily cause $5000 damage if you do it incorrectly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi and welcome to the Forum :)

I cannot believe you Power-washed it, but hey ho we all make mistakes ;) ...............

If you just keep buying parts and throwing them at it you could likely spend mega $$$$

Stay well away from Main Dealers

This Car needs a pro operator with SDS, not Snap On, not ICarsoft,. not $50 OBD junk etc etc.

When replacing Modules you also need that machine to at very least check Version Codings, and then adjust as needs be, do not be fooled by the "if the part number is the same it is fine brigade" they are talking tosh ..................... Sometimes yes, but it is a lottery that can cause further issues !!

If you don't have a good Mercedes Indie near you then a basic clone C3 SDS system will run approx $500, and you will likely save a small fortune over this and future jobs :)

If you can get it on SDS, full read and post screen shots of everything we can advise you where to start first ;)

HTH,
Thank you this was very helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts