Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through the archives to find info on the A/C problems the early cars have. It seems MB has found the need to replace some of the components for better performance of the system. I have noticed in my 500 (purchased in Dec 1999) that the car doesn't keep me cool, but I thought it was b/c I'm warm natured. Does anybody have a VIN number for when they changed the system or do all 2000MY cars have this problem?<br>
<br>
Also, I really can't tell a difference between when my ventilated seats are on or off. Is the ventilation noticeable or just subliminal?<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
Randy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had the entire air conditioning system replaced in our MY2000 S430 (April 1999 delivery) under warranty. There was a notice about the new system and if customers complained MB would replace it. My mother complained and its a pretty big job - they have to remove the entire dash and center console; they add a larger compressor and some other stuff. The new systems have 'AC off' on the 'EC' button; the old ones don't. Plus, they also introduced infra-red resistant glass in MY2001 - as we think one of the largest culprits is that the new dual pane Pilkerton glass is not tinted sufficiently to block out alot of the sun. Good luck ..... your service guys should know all about this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, what an ordeal. I swear if I ever encountered anything of such after paying so much for a car, well... What was the end result? Any rattles or creaks from the dash????

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rattles, no creaks....

only two technicians at our dealership were qualified to do the work however. Both had gone to Germany when the new S-Class was introduced and trained on the car. We actually think the tech put the car back together better than it had come from the factory. A little messy because we have a light interior and sometimes techs leave fingerprints .. but we took the car back for an interior/exterior hand wash (they are free at our dealership) and they took care of it. Good luck .. I recommend it .. hey its free, the loaner car too. Even though its alot of work the technician makes a nice comission - they love warranty work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: No rattles, no creaks....

What dealer is this? My SRS light came on today, I hit the SOS button to see if they could remotely re-set it. The tech told me to pull the car over and they would have to tow it in to the dealer to have it checked out. I said, 'Ya right' I am going to allow someone to tow this car. I called the dealer, service said no worries, no bags would pop while driving, 2 weeks is the soonest they could see the car. Well, I threw a fit as I am not happy to have to take it in. I said what about a loaner, their comment. 'Does not look good'<br> <br> Man o man.... and to think they charge for interior and exterior hand wash...........

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baltimore, MD - R&H Motor Cars ....

I have never heard of such a thing .. 2 weeks!!!! Sometimes when you schedule maintenance and want a loaner they might ask you to wait to bring it in that next Monday; just cause they have a limited number of loaner cars. The service department is very busy but very responsive; they run two shifts to keep up. I assume there is more than 1 Mercedes Dealer near NYC. Baltimore has two local and three less than an hour away (those three will come and pick up your car and drop off a loaner). You may have wanted to press the wrench rather than the SOS butt for a maintenance question like the SRS light; more technical people assist you rather than Texas 'support.' If they tell you not to drive and have it towed; as long as they use a flatbed you should be fine; unless of course its a suspension problem which we had (and then the car is too low to the ground to hoist up) let MB do it. Any more questions just ask; but you best bet might be to 1) find a new dealership or at least 2) only speak with the Service Manager (not the Service Advisors)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts