Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i want to remove the air filter housing from my car and on the Mercedes workshop manual it says to remove the battery terminal,and I don't know if the radio will require a code afterward, is it essential to remove the battery terminal?*

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
hi,

i want to remove the air filter housing from my car.......
Are you intending only to change the air filters? There is no need to disconnect the battery to do that.

Remember when re-fitting the housing to ensure that it is right down on its 4 mounts - otherwise you will get engine breathing problems.

You don't need a radio code with the COMAND radio. I am not sure about the other radios. Another forum poster will be able to advise about that.

·
Registered
924 Posts
+1 what Keyhole said, most manuals / SOPs instruct to disconnect the battery as a precaution. If the radio is factory installed no Pin required.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That seems to be a completely unnecessary precaution. Its almost all plastic and there is nothing close to it that is live when the key is out.

The clips that press into the rubber rings bend very easily. When I did my last oil change most of them were badly bent and the covers were not properly on. You can easily fix the clips with needle nose pliers.

Also, the metal spring/clip in the far back can come undone. Its easy to insert it properly. It should clip over the plastic tabs on the housing with some force.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The op has a CLK200k
is that a M271 ?
If so , the metal clips on M112 are not an issue ..and the rear spring clip near the intake tube is only on M272 350.

I agree , no need to disconnect the battery. Just T20 torx screws to remove.
Unless you are actually removing the entire housing ? Then probably a good idea,,,no radio codes ,,but could need reset of power windows and sunroof.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes Benzyle, that must be M271 so as you pointed out it's a 5 min job.
@abril, do not pull out the screws from the cover as they're tied to it - once you have them undone just lift the cover, remove the filter and clear all debris in the housing, fit in a new filter ensuring it seals properly against the intake, and replace the cover. If you haven't already / recently you ought to consider replacing the cabin / pollen filter which is clipped in a plastic tray right above the battery - not tools needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.I want to remove the air box because mice got in the engine compartment and probably chewed some wires back there and now it runs a bit rough and it shows the code p0170 fuel trim bank 1,on the manual it specifies that that step was removed(the battery disconnection)?! There is an ecu on the box,the radio was installed by the factory so i don't have to worry ,i have read about problems caused to the airbags from disconnecting batteries.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Benzyle, that must be M271 so as you pointed out it's a 5 min job.
@abril, do not pull out the screws from the cover as they're tied to it - once you have them undone just lift the cover, remove the filter and clear all debris in the housing, fit in a new filter ensuring it seals properly against the intake, and replace the cover. If you haven't already / recently you ought to consider replacing the cabin / pollen filter which is clipped in a plastic tray right above the battery - not tools needed.
i have replaced that air filter recently, the one that i haven't changed it in a while is the filters for the cabin, so i am not using the filter function on the climate control since they are old,i should tend to them as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have disconnected batteries many times ,,never had a problem with airbags ,,I have even taken the driver's airbag out and put back in again a few times ,,no problems,

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry abril, on re-reading your first post I admit I misunderstood your query - I thought you were looking at filter replacement rather than the housing. In this case I'd disconnect the battery just to make sure there's no spikes when you unplug and replug wires. I've done it many times and no issues, other than having to reset the windows - which you can easily do yourself by opening each window fully, pressing the button until you hear the sensor "click", and then closing fully while pressing the button until the "click" is heard. Rinse & repeat for all windows, if it's a convertible you might need to do the same with the soft top.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i disconnected the ecu without removing the battery terminal yesterday ,i haven't reassemble it yet since i messed up my hand trying to remove the air guide pipe since it has never been out before (those clips didn't want to be pressed:|), it is ready to come out it just needs a bit of wiggle, should i remove the terminal before reconnecting everything or it want make any difference at this point?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You never know ,,It might make a difference..I would remove the negative cable from the battery..
When removing and installing , go for a fast movement ,to avoid sparking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright i will disconnect it just in case,I have removed the airbox and i haven't found any cables that have been chewed to the core ,only one injector cable has its outer rubber cover chewed but the wires inside are ok, also i checked on a vacuum hose that goes at the intake after the throttle body and its rotten (i have pinned a couple of pictures) could that be related to my problem(P0170)? Do you know what does that vacuum hose is for?could it just be a MAF sensor?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes, there usually is some oil down the intake... While you have it apart it might be an idea to replace tje breather hoses, they degrade over time. In my previous CLK 200k I was getting an engine check error as one of those breather hoses almost collapsed on itself, restricting the air flow.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry, don't recall what the vacuum tuning is for... But I found the part numbers I replaced on my yoke in case youre interested.

271 018 14 82 Hose Cylinder Crankcase Breathing
271 018 03 29 Check Valve
271 018 15 82 Bleed Hose "L Shape"
271 141 08 80 manifold gasket
271 016 04 81 molded hose
271 018 12 82 Hose toward Intake Manifold
005 997 62 90 loom tie
014 997 68 45 and 013 997 91 45 injector seals

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i changed the vacuum hose and i also cleaned the MAF just in case because the filter was a bit chewed up on the edges and took it for a short ride and keeping the engine load variable, it performed as normal;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts