Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'91 300SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have 20" wheels on their R129? I have a '91 300SL and am thinking of getting 20's. Oh and for those that do have 20" rims, what offset are they?

thanks,

·
Registered
91 500 SL
14 Posts
RE: 20" wheels

Sorry for the late Reply but I just registered today and haven't had the car for more than three weeks. It is a 91 500 SL, unfortunatly the color is Teal but everyone likes it even though I wish it were black (It would look much better in my driveway with my Black 2000 lifted Dodge Ram V-10 if it were).

Anyway I just put 20" Lowenheart BS5's on it. The offset on the rim is .35 however they did not fit properly that way so I had Custom Hub centric Spacers made (any serious rim shop should be able to get that done) and they are 1/4". Then I had a hard time finding proper lugs for it and wound up having to shave some off some stock lugs so the lug would not hit the e-brake on the back wheels. Looks GREAT!!! except now I will not park in my work parking lot because the car looks a little too good (Bling Bling if you know what I mean). I had to get Super low profile tires up front to stop them from rubbing to much but they still rub if I turn it all the way or hit a big bump on the Freeway (that is just the plastic crap inside the wheel well though). Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 19s if I were you the 20's lift the car up a little and I dont exactly like the rubbing it limits my U-turn capability while still looking cool.

I will take some pics and put them up when I get a chance... maybe sometime this week.

Also I have purchased Zenons headlights from a parts yard off a 2002 R129. Haven't yet had the time to install them yet but I hope they will fit. If anyone has done this swap Please let me know. Hopefully the clear corners go on the front easy enough too as they should be delivered soon.

I am looking for some Tail lights off of a 2001 or 2002 (am not sure of the year for the last change for those tail lights but if anyone knows please post it) and if anyone has done that swap can you tell me if it is strait across or what.

Otherwise I LOVE the car it is so much fun to drive and is very comfortable for my 100 mile a day commute, which after getting that car I actually look forward to each morning (at 5 am).

Anyway I hope this helps you or anyone else looking to get 20's.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts