Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ML 430 1999
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, jsut need a bit of advise. Will 20 x 10 inch wheels all around fit the ML430 1999 comfortably? Thanks

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
You should compare the rpm (round per mile) of the tires as well.
Very likely 40-height tires on 20" rim will be smaller, than stock. With some tolerance it might be acceptable, but you might have to calibrate the speedometer.
The only 100% guarantee is put the wheels on and drive.
When installing wider wheels what needs to be checked is fender clearance at maximum turn and maximum load.

·
Registered
ML 430 1999
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgive me for asking but if I have to calibrate the speedo, Is it a (DIY) Do-it-yourself, how difficult a job is it?

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Again -start with comparing rpm to stock.
Generally 6% difference is acceptable. I wouldn't see a big problem even with bigger difference, unless you cross mechanical abilities of the car.
Most of the time by "calibration" drivers understand knowing the difference between speedometer reading and actual speed.
So if you drive in 65MPH zone and speedo shows 65 -you'll know if you are below or over the limit.
The real calibration would involve changing the speedo gears, or software what is factory sealed.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
295/45/20 is fine as that is what I am running now and no problems...

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
The 1010 tire calculator apply to theoretical wheels.
Something, that doesn't exist. This might be good start for considering general sizes, but I would still confirm actual rpm given by manufacturer.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
20X10 tires 295,45,20 Ive got them and no problem !
Ive put around 60,000kms on them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts