Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

As the title says, anyone knows where i can buy 20" Brabus Monoblock VI Replicas? (polished silver, no chrome please) I have searched here for places to look at but I end up with the same result, largest is 19". Discountire, eurotech,usarim etc.

I hope theyre not discontinued. So if anyone knows where to buy, please advise.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
btw speed addict... they will slow your ML down.. just saying.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Okay. Next question is, which would suit my tires (275/40r20), 20x8.5 or 20x9.5? Im thinking 20x9.5?
And what are the acceptable offsets?

Thanks!
From my time here on this Forum, I have noted that most members who have installed 20" wheels shod them with 275/45/20 tyres.

A 40 series sidewall may be too thin and leave a nasty gap between the tyre and wheel fender - It's ultimately your choice/decision of course.:)

In relation to the wheel width, you have to consider whether your ML is equipped with fender flares because if you go too wide on the width (without fender flares) the wheel/tyre will extend beyond the truck body.

Again, the choice/decision is yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have flares. Just the basic ml320. Offset is 40. Im thinking because the tires are roughly 10" wide, wouldn't make sense to go 9.5" for the rims?

I wonder how it will look like for a 20x9.5 +40 with 275mm wide tire.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
128 Posts
Im thinking of 20"s too. I like these: Mercedes-Benz - - MERCEDES WHEELS 20 INCH SILVER RIMS (MBZ-450-20-SLV)

Anyway, when folks say they will slow you down, of course i know they will (due to rotational inertia/mass) but how much? A half second off the 0-60 time?

I think 20's would look great but i dont want to sacrifice a lot of performance. Ive got a Nissan Z and a Yamaha R1 for when i want quick but my ML430 is no slouch and i want it to stay quick. I love dusting off ricer Civics with their fart can exhausts and if 20's are gonna slow me down too much then i wont do it.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
They will also increase stopping distance, but not something that would be a worry.
I think you are probably not going to lose a 1/2 second on the 0-60. More like .2 or.3 tenths.
Stopping distance from 60-0 will be a few feet longer, but the brakes will be working harder
every time they are used for the same stopping feel you are used to with smaller wheels.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,926 Posts
I just fitted 295 /45 20 on a 20x9.5 and they came out an inch but i have flares. Filled the guards nicely and i'm rapped with the handling and ride.
The rolling diameter was about 4'' more than the 275/55 17, cant really notice any lose in take off or stopping....

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
They will also increase stopping distance, but not something that would be a worry.
I think you are probably not going to lose a 1/2 second on the 0-60. More like .2 or.3 tenths.
Stopping distance from 60-0 will be a few feet longer, but the brakes will be working harder every time they are used for the same stopping feel you are used to with smaller wheels.
Im thinking of 20"s too.....Anyway, when folks say they will slow you down, of course i know they will (due to rotational inertia/mass) but how much? A half second off the 0-60 time?

......my ML430 is no slouch and i want it to stay quick. I love dusting off ricer Civics with their fart can exhausts and if 20's are gonna slow me down too much then i wont do it.
These are exactly the considerations which have so far stopped me getting 20" wheels for my ML55 too.

20" wheels look great but I'm really not willing to 'suffer' just to look cool.

I have to admit though I'm probably going to eventually 'take the plunge' and get them.:D

·
Registered
ML430 '99' E280 '94'
17 Posts
Okay. Next question is, which would suit my tires (275/40r20), 20x8.5 or 20x9.5? Im thinking 20x9.5?

And what are the acceptable offsets?

Thanks!
Hi speedaddict12,

I have the 20" Brabus replicas with 275-40-20 tyres and the wheels are
8.5" front and 9.5" rear with no real noticible difference between them.
Image attached (hopefully)

As for the speed/acceleration/braking concerns forget about it. The ML
has a higher torque output than a standard car, which with 4wd will more
than cope with the wheel weight issue and I can happily say that with
20's you can embarass many more "Ricers" as you can take corners a lot
quicker due to less tyre wall movement.

If speed is a concern stick to 8.5 width all round as it has an inch less
metal around the circumference and stick to the 40 profile tyres as it also
reduces tyre weight and is about 2cm smaller on rolling circumference which
will keep you on the right side of the Law in speed camera areas.

My wife liked the wheels too as the car was still comfortable, it is a shame
they ended up getting chipped and the laquer peeled off. Theyre in the
shed awaiting a refurb.

Just keep the old wheels for Winter!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
i have 20's on my 55. I have Axis EXE wheels which are real close to same weight as oem rims (maybe even a bit lighter). No problem with truck feeling slower due to weight or increased drive ratio. These trucks are very torquey and can handle reasonably heaver wheels fairly well. I think youll be fine with this motor. A 320 I may think about it a bit more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts