Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

after reading this thread on beautiful horn updates i purchased 2 stebel nautilus horns to replace the existing ones. man.. didn't think it THAT difficult to fit them!

1. there is no room for new horn if you fit it instead of an existing one.. how did YOU fit them and where about?

2. according to installation scheme on the box there are 2 types of horn connection possible depending on the vehicle: with 'hot' and with ground lead to the horn. sorry mates but i have no clue which one i've got in my vehicle. the old horns had 2 wires each (red and grey). as per the scheme it is the second option (ground lead to the horn). am i right?

(scanned installation scheme attached)

3. i want to put 2 horns (1 for each side exactly instead of 2 old ones). which mounting scheme do i follow: instead or in addition to existing horn? if i fit first then it is already an existing horn and the second seems to be additional.. pls clarify here.

4. mates pls explain me the scheme attached as i don't understand the way it is made: do i need to connect a wire to the battery directly with the fuse somewhere in between? is it so complicated procedure or there is an alternate way to avoid all this stuff with fuses? there is a relay in each box. tried to connect as per scheme, but horn didn't sound... so i read it wrong

guys need your help here - 2 horns are waiting impatiently to be fitted!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
2,220 Posts
This is a really easy install. You have factory horns fitted to both sides of 99 ML's in the front wheelwells. Simply a matter of removing originals and installing the new ones.

If you hook the wiring backwards (- to + and + to -) the horns will not sound. You will hear the compressor run, but no air output to the horn. Reverse the leads and hit your horn button. If horns don't sound, you have most likely blown a fuse.

I would recommend doing one side at a time and before you remove the old horn, merely disconnect the leads and hook to the Stebel. This should get you going in the right direction. Don't worry about the included relays..really not needed unless you want to supply maximum juice to horns.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
springerfever said:
This is a really easy install. You have factory horns fitted to both sides of 99 ML's in the front wheelwells. Simply a matter of removing originals and installing the new ones.

If you hook the wiring backwards (- to + and + to -) the horns will not sound. You will hear the compressor run, but no air output to the horn. Reverse the leads and hit your horn button. If horns don't sound, you have most likely blown a fuse.

I would recommend doing one side at a time and before you remove the old horn, merely disconnect the leads and hook to the Stebel. This should get you going in the right direction. Don't worry about the included relays..really not needed unless you want to supply maximum juice to horns.
thanks mate.. will be fitting tomorrow. where is this fuse placed if i want to check it is dead or alive? finally you mentioned relays are for juice sound.. can you point me how to wire them? i have 2 leads to each horn (+ and -), but what about the battery on the scheme? anybody can pls explain me how to add relays? want juicy sound!!

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

mates, came across this website. all installation clearly explained. the scheme is much better than italian art on the box... pictures of my installation will follow. decided to do realying as from that website it is that simple.. :)

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
springerfever said:

Thinking about doing this in the next month or so. Do you have any idea as to the difference in sound/performance with and without using the relay? Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JAD said:
Thinking about doing this in the next month or so. Do you have any idea as to the difference in sound/performance with and without using the relay? Thanks.
i can answer this question as i tried both connections. the difference is huge. relay delivers powerful beefy sound immediately whilst non-relay honk will gain power increasingly. surely you want all that sound right when you honk and not after 2-3 secs, don't you? ;)

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
CAHEK said:
i can answer this question as i tried both connections. the difference is huge. relay delivers powerful beefy sound immediately whilst non-relay honk will gain power increasingly. surely you want all that sound right when you honk and not after 2-3 secs, don't you? ;)
Definately :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts