Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E350 CDI & 2017 C300 Cabrio
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to check in with my experience so far. Picked up my 2005 CDI a couple Saturdays ago with 91k on the odometer and in good shape. It was in need of a service when I bought it, and I had that taken care of last week at my local Indy. Oil/filter change, tranny flush & filter, air filter, cabin filters, brake flush, and rearend fluid change. Everything is back up to spec with MB rec fluids & filters. I've put a few hundred miles and have avg'd around 25mpg around town and took a trip to Pittsburgh on Saturday, about 100 mile round trip, and avg'd just under 34 mpg with mixed driving. Not bad, but I think I need to change out my thermostat, since it rarely gets to 80c, even on the trip to the city. I pulled the covers off the engine and checked for the melted insulation around the injectors, and found a little at the rearmost injector. I got most of it cleaned up and vacuumed out and snipped the melted/burned corner of the insulation before I replaced it. Cleaned up the engine compartment and put it back together. So, here are my observations:

Likes: I enjoy the comfort and room. I like the pano roof as do the kids. The rain sensing wipers and auto hvac is great. Having access to my ipod is great. The 3 memory seats work out great since I have a new driver. The 'moving' power is excellent, I have no worries of merging or passing. The gas mileage is awesome, compared to my Dodge Durango.

Dislikes: The turbolag/tranny. I did the adaptive tranny reset, and that helped a little, but the car is just not responsive from a stop. (I don't feel it's a problem, as I have the exact same complaint about my wifes '05 clk 320) Once I'm going, it's seamless and excellent.

Those are the observations for now. I'm hoping to keep this car for a long time, and hoping the dependability will be there for long trips. I found a lot of great info on this site while I was deciding on this car, and continue to get more. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Congrats Toyman on your purchase!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it as the cdi is a lovely platform to drive.. The thermostat should be changed if the temp is not getting up to spec.. Changed mine last weekend and the numbers are already better, and the engine appears much happier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To help with turbo lag and improve MPG, try a chip like TDCs PowerBox CR. I've had the chip for about 6 months now and enjoy the extra torque and snappier response. :thumbsup: Smokes a little under heavy acceleration :thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel filter replaced about 1000 miles ago. Turbo intercooler connection. Any pics? I think I'll be replacing the t-stat shortly so I'll take a look when I have the covers off. (if I can get some direction:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
uncanny

Hey toyman...Toolman here. Was reading your post, and feel like it could have been my own. I too bought a used 2005 E320 CDI a couple of weeks ago, with 57K miles on it...so barely broken in. Have put just under a thousand miles on it so far, and am REALLY liking this vehicle. Wish I had Nav, Bluetooth and a backup camera, ....but I'll get by without them. I've changed oil and oil filter so far, checked air filter, and plan on doing the other fluids just as soon as I return from this business trip.

By the way, what is the spec temp? Mine doesn't get over 80C either, but figured it's normal, since that's about mid range on the indicator.

All the best, Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
2006 e320 CDI Williamsburg, VA
420 Posts
toolman_johnny;By the way said:
Toolman - I just did a Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion and found the following:
80C = 176 degrees
92C = 197.6 degrees
Our diesels like to run hot. I just changed my thermostat last week as it took too long to reach 80C. While looking for a replacement thermostat, all I could find is the 92C. Mercedes may have discontinued the 80C. I believe that gasoline motors today run at about 195 degrees, so the 197 degree thermostat does not seem out of the ordinary.
Mike T.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
toolman_johnny - I wish I had the bluetooth, from what I've read the DVD based nav system is a bit cumbersome and my garmin works fine:thumbsup: Also, from researching (endlessly it seems) most CDI's weren't optioned out with the kitchen sink. I found 2 in my area. The one I bought had 2k more miles on it, but it was Black over the light blue/silver color which I liked better, and aside from the Blue one having the video screens in the headrests, the one I bought had more options. I guess we'll have to give occasional updates to see how these vehicles work out:cool:

From all I've read, I think I'm definitely due for the thermostat change. The conflict I have is that the Beck Arnley part comes with the housing & o-rings (which needs tapped from what I've read), and there's another part that is just the t-stat. What is recommended? The price for the BA housing & t-stat is the same as the t-stat alone. I'm enjoying the increased gas mileage now and it seems once the car starts running at 80-90c, it will be even better. I may give it a go this weekend. I've also read that this is a pressurized system, how does one go about bleeding the system once it's opened?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
You could easily find much information about changing the thermostat by searching and using the topic thermostat (I always use the advanced search window as it allows you to only search the W211 forum).. I did mine last weekend and it went along pretty easy.. Remember to use a happy meal cup to cover the oil filter hole..

Here is a link to a thread that will tell you all you need to know about replacing the thermostat: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1492425-thermostat-change-coolant-re-fill-cdi.html

It's easy to do as long as you have the proper tools, parts, and supplies..

Good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aeubank - thanks for the info. I really did do a search (many) on this and even read the thread you referenced. I tried to get to the link inside the link you posted a day or two ago and it must have been down, but it's up now and bookmarked. I'm a little confused about tapping the housing holes? I'm assuming the bolts thread into the block, shouldn't the bolts pass cleaning thru the housing, instead of being threaded? Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly, even after reviewing the picture thread on the other board?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
aeubank - thanks for the info. I really did do a search (many) on this and even read the thread you referenced. I tried to get to the link inside the link you posted a day or two ago and it must have been down, but it's up now and bookmarked. I'm a little confused about tapping the housing holes? I'm assuming the bolts thread into the block, shouldn't the bolts pass cleaning thru the housing, instead of being threaded? Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly, even after reviewing the picture thread on the other board?

Thanks again!

The holes you are referring to as tapping are not the ones that go into the cylinder head. There are 3 bolts that go through the housing and into the cylinder head (remember the block is cast iron, and the cylinder head is aluminum). These 3 bolts are longer than the other 2 that have to come out.

You run those 3 bolts in when replacing the thermostat FIRST and tighten them down. The last two bolts are not functional to the thermostat. One is for a bracket on the front of the engine and the other holds the two fuel lines in place. These two holes do not have threads but you do NOT need to tap them. Just run the bolt in and the soft aluminum will allow you to make your own threads. Make sure you have a good E10 socket and about a 6 inch extension for the head bolts.

I did find the upper thermostat bolt to be the hardest to get on with the other wiring in the way..

Any more ??'s just ask..

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Kind of as a side note.. When I replaced my thermostat, the part that I took off was in the closed position. The unit looked the same as the unit I put on so that leads me to think there must be some issue with the spring not being able to keep the unit closed over time..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aeubank - Thanks for clearing that up!

I'll be ordering my T-stat & housing shortly and will do the install the week after Thanksgiving. I feel pretty comfortable now that I have a good picture of what I'm dealing with. I'll look forward to the increased mileage and lower wear & tear on the engine. When I have the covers off, I'll poke around to make sure all the turbo connections are sound.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Good luck on checking the turbo plumbing. There's so much stuff on the upper part of the engine that it's hard to see the turbo and the plumbing.. I do know that the turbo is on the passenger side of the car..

Also, make sure to get some MB approved anti freeze. It was around $30 per gallon here in NC. I used 2 quarts of it..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will definitely get the MB approved coolant.

Here's 2 pics from 2+ Saturdays ago. (Realized I hadn't posted any pics) It was a good day, to say the least, and the weather let my wife put the top down a few times last week. The CLK is just short of showroom condition. 39K miles and in excellent shape. Mine was loved a little more than hers. And, as a bonus, here's a pic of the 70 SL280 I used to have and the 70 Chevelle I built (and still have). I miss the SL, but my wife is much happier lifting the button on her CLK, rather than lifting the roof off the SL:D

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
117 Posts
Congrats Toyman on your purchase!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it as the cdi is a lovely platform to drive.. The thermostat should be changed if the temp is not getting up to spec.. Changed mine last weekend and the numbers are already better, and the engine appears much happier.
Do you have a model number by chance for the better thermostat to install over stock?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Do you have a model number by chance for the better thermostat to install over stock?

Cheers,
From what I have seen the thermostat is the same as it was before. I am unaware of a newer part number or a replacement part that MB says exceeds the other one. The thermostat that I just replaced will probably suffer the fate of the one that I took off and have a weak spring problem after a couple years..

I guess it makes sense that if the design was for the unit to fail in the open position that the spring would become weak over time with all of the water pressure from the water pump..

Not sure of what the expected life of this thermostat is supposed to be.. I would say anywhere from 2-3 years or about 75k miles.. Good thing is I can do it again while blindfolded lol..

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
117 Posts
I just purchased a new thermostat unit from Autohauzaz.com, for $51.00 and they claim it is OEM made by Wahler, description: Engine Coolant Thermostat/Water Outlet Assembly. I hope this is the correct 92 deg unit.

I have 21K on the car, and did not know about this cold running issue till now, so I will do this swap out very soon.....

So this spring inside is the weak link...... can one use the spring from the old unit seeing as I will have it as a spare for future?

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
I will say it LOOKS that way. Normally when I see a thermostatr that fails it is off the axis and somehow could not close.. This one looks just like to one I put on so one must assume the issue is with the spring..

1 - 20 of 80 Posts