Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500 White - 60K Miles
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 97 S500 with stock rims and I love the way it rides. However, I really like the look of the AMG Monoblocks.

Question 1: What is the cheapest yet strongest contender amongst the replicas?

Question 2: What is the best option to keep current feel of car? i.e. dont want a harder ride associated with larger rims / thinner tires.

I appreciate all of the answers and the knowledge on this board...I've read all of the posts but cant seem to get an answer to my question based on current content.

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Hello all,

Question 2: What is the best option to keep current feel of car? i.e. dont want a harder ride associated with larger rims / thinner tires.
Yeah, I love those AMG monoblock 1 too.. They look really good on the 140.

RH (German manufacturer) makes som real look-a-like wheels..
RH Wheels | Welcome
Not exactly cheap, but still a lot cheaper then the AMG original wheels.

If you want to keep the current feel, the current setup is the ONLY way.. All other setups will give another feel to the car..
But, since you can get up to 22".. And since 16" is the original..
I don't think 18 would be bad on this car..
235/60-16 (euro-standard) gives 2098mm Which would mean that 255/45-18 should be almost the same size.. Or in 17".. 155/50-17
It's your choise anyway..

·
Registered
95 S420, Eibach, Bilstein, 19's, projection lights, grillz, SS brake lines, rotrs & cali, perf chip
63 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 97 S500 with stock rims and I love the way it rides. However, I really like the look of the AMG Monoblocks.

I appreciate all of the answers and the knowledge on this board...I've read all of the posts but cant seem to get an answer to my question based on current content.

Thanks,
Trevor
You can't have both smooth soft ride and large rims. I went from stock 16's to 19's and its totally more firm now plus Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks. You can stay with 16's stocks and have smooth ride or change to larger rims and have firm ride. Or you can change to larger rims and use real tall 65-80 side wall tires.

·
Registered
1997 S500 White - 60K Miles
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answer...

All I really want is the AMG Monoblock look while not totally eroding the smoothness I currently have....If I get the 18" AMG's what tire size should / could I get to preserve the existing ride?

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Trevor

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Yeah, I love those AMG monoblock 1 too.. They look really good on the 140.

I don't think 18 would be bad on this car..
235/60-16 (euro-standard) gives 2098mm Which would mean that 255/45-18 should be almost the same size.. Or in 17".. 155/50-17
It's your choise anyway..
255/45-18 should do the trick, and still keep the speedometer in the correct place..

·
Registered
2016 CLS350
1,148 Posts
You can't have both smooth soft ride and large rims. I went from stock 16's to 19's and its totally more firm now plus Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks. You can stay with 16's stocks and have smooth ride or change to larger rims and have firm ride. Or you can change to larger rims and use real tall 65-80 side wall tires.
How can you use larger rims AND have high profile 65-80 sidewalls?
If the standard sidewall is 60 series on a 16 inch rim then for you to got to 17 or 18" and just retain it at 60 series you'd need to drop the tyre width to 205/65R17 or even 175/70R18. I don't believe either exist.

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Another problem are the wheels themselves.. 8,5x18.. Demands a minimum tyre dimension to be able to infalte the tire correctly..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts