Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first question is pertaining the battery. i need a replacement and the stealer wants too much$ anyone use any after-market batteries on our cars w any success??? and my second question regarding the radio is : is it possible to keep my stock radio but maybe have it upgraded w an aux or ipod connector from Bose? i believe i read a thread here some time ago regarding this but can not seem to find it....
thanks guys and happy holidays!!

·
Registered
2003 500sl
490 Posts
dont know about radio but i went to pep boys gave year amd model batttery was 150 never had a prob with it

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
You can buy aftermarket, there is a thread somewhere debating various brand.

Now, there is an aftermarket iPod connectivity set, namely for Radio CDs. Not quite efficient.
Try a emmitter.

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can buy aftermarket, there is a thread somewhere debating various brand.

Now, there is an aftermarket iPod connectivity set, namely for Radio CDs. Not quite efficient.
Try a emmitter.
COULD HAVE SWORN I SEEN A THREAD W INSTRUCTIONS ON SENDING THE RADIO BACK TO BOSE AND THEY RETURN IT W AN AUXILARY CONNECTION I THINK.........

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
One way is to chop into the wiring of the CD changer if you have one but it is very technical & substantial.
It involves breaking open the CD changer and making a new connection on the PCB + new wiring to your dashboard.
I would go for the FM transmitter, less complicated.
They are not so expensive.

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about these Bluetooth cassette adaptors?my car has a cassette deck and it would bd nice to turn into a Bluetooth audio receiver .

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
How about these Bluetooth cassette adaptors?my car has a cassette deck and it would bd nice to turn into a Bluetooth audio receiver .
The audio sound still would be a compromise because both the adaptor and your cassette deck uses a magnetic head to transfer the signal.
Not the best way to get a hifi sound.
There are various brands on the market when it comes to FM transmitters but one that i know about is from Belkin.
They even have one that has bluetooth build in, it was developed especially for ipod & iphone so it even functions as a hands free car kit besides audio streaming.
And it has an AUX in.
You can find it on Google.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
The audio sound still would be a compromise because both the adaptor and your cassette deck uses a magnetic head to transfer the signal.
Not the best way to get a hifi sound.
Those of us who play electric guitar might argue with that statement.:D

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
I swear by VARTA Silver dynamic. The battery is NEVER effected by anything and always manages to get the motor cranking. Expensive but worth it if you ask me.

And get a JVC KDAVX-77 :D

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
It works with my Becker system and sounds amazing even over the stock speakers. Its not a hidious silver aftermarket deck.. The KD-AVX77 looks like it belongs in a R129. The price might be a little high for a Single DIN unit but it has a ridiculous number of features, and it works and fits seamlessly in my car. If you want to listen to music so loudly that your ears will bleed, you might damage your factory amp but if not your fine :D

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes ML500 2000 Mercedes E320 1999 Mercedes E430 1996 Mercedes SL320
185 Posts
You can have Becker Auto Sound modify your existing radio with an auxiliary input for your iPod. I had them modify my radio and I am very happy with the results. Here is a link to their website:

index

·
Premium Member
1992 500SL, 1999 SL500
46 Posts
It works with my Becker system and sounds amazing even over the stock speakers. Its not a hidious silver aftermarket deck.. The KD-AVX77 looks like it belongs in a R129. The price might be a little high for a Single DIN unit but it has a ridiculous number of features, and it works and fits seamlessly in my car. If you want to listen to music so loudly that your ears will bleed, you might damage your factory amp but if not your fine :D
Would you have a photo to share with the JVC KD-AVX77...?
thx.
j.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
I would get OEM Mercedes battery, or similar unsealed liquid battery... VARTA being an example

reason being, you are almost guaranteed to drain your batter at least once a year, by accident, or ooperating top while the engine is off...etc.

with that in mind, a service free battery is trash as soon as its drained dead... OEM style battery takes much more beating and abuse...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts