Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

1. might sound stupid but can you tell me if the 2003 model w203 c200k (Australian model) has a timing belt or a timing chain? my car has done 125k now and not sure if I need to change the timing belt cause I don't have a service manual book

2. Having a c200k.....anyone know the recommended driving patterns? E.G I used to own a honda vtec so high revving was recommended often to keep the engine optimised.......with my c200k i've been driving it quite conservatively by trying to keep the revs under 4k.....being a kompressor.....is high revs good for the engine? e.g i'm not damaging the engine etc? would like to hear some comments coz i don't wont to drive it too conservatively and maybe damage the engine by not revving it

Cheers!

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
If you want to get on it by all means do so. The engine has a kompressor for a reason... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, that means I don't need to worry about the belt change :D

When I press the accel quickly, the rev normally goes up almost to the red line, that will be ok then? like not stressing the engine or anything?

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Red-line shift WOT isn't going to damage the engine or transmission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red-line shift WOT isn't going to damage the engine or transmission.
what i mean was while normal driving, if i accel harder, it'll suddenly rev quite high to almost the red line not gradually..i have been avoiding that.....i even thought it was a transmisson issue and got it serviced by mercedes and they said my tranny was fine...i havent been driving hard....more curious to know it kompressor engines normally kick in at the higher ends (e.g like vtec kicks in near the higher revs etc)

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
If you slam the peddle you're hitting the kick down switch, and transmission is downshifting to lowest possible gear. At most speeds the gear is high in the RPM range 4-6k...

·
Registered
2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
82 Posts
Hi easside,
Perhpas you are being a little heavy footed if the revs go to the red line :)
Have a look and see if the auto transmission is in S (sporty) or C (comfort) mode. There should be a button on the console thingy next to the transmission lever.
S mode changes higher ie more engine revs, and generally makes the car more lively, C mode starts in second gear and changes up later, more smoothly.
If it's a 200K, then the engine should have a fairly wide flat torque curve, and pull equally well across the mid range of engine revs.
regards
David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi easside,
Perhpas you are being a little heavy footed if the revs go to the red line :)
Have a look and see if the auto transmission is in S (sporty) or C (comfort) mode. There should be a button on the console thingy next to the transmission lever.
S mode changes higher ie more engine revs, and generally makes the car more lively, C mode starts in second gear and changes up later, more smoothly.
If it's a 200K, then the engine should have a fairly wide flat torque curve, and pull equally well across the mid range of engine revs.
regards
David

Thanks for the reply David,

I do have 2 modes which is 'S' and 'W' which i believe could be standard and winter

I've left it on 'S' since the purchase thinking it was meant for 'standard' might need to go through the manual again :)

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts