Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 ML55 AMG
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have this problems with my ml55
maybe somewere this problems has been discussed but doont know how to search,so i will just post u some pictures
i would greatly appreciate any help
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
As for number two, either sand and repaint the plastic or read up on peeling the adhesive off behind it and replacing the entire piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
What is that pillar called in the right hand pic? One of mine is cracked in half and the other is starting to come unglued.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Ah. That damn alphabet thing again. Thanks Merzatt :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Second that on the 3M, look for 77 contact adhesive. It comes in a spray can and you can find at most hardware stores. Its about the best you can get other than special trade only and its cheap and it doesn't let go. If you adjust the spray pattern light enough when you do the fabric it won't hurt it. Go too heavy and you get bleed through in patches on the fabric. I'll be nice and not mention mine was the first ML I've seen which didn't have saggy A's and mine are leather, but I won't mention that...:D

Same problem on mine. Cracked on drivers side and the clear coat is toast on the passenger side. Have to sand down then spray black base and then some clear. Mine age not loose but I would use butyl or urethane adhesive. Same stuff you use to bond windshields in. Not that bad for price and its flexible when cured and you'd probably end up ripping the roof off trying to get it back off :) Does anyone know what these are made off? Was thinking a bumper repair kit to fix my crack. Problem is it has to match the plastic to work.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
I have tried a few things with these D pillar trim pieces and honestly a cracked one is
just not worth trying to fix if it is even possible.

And yes to whoever posted the windshield urethane. It sets quickly and holds like a pit bull's bite.
It is all I used to install the D pillar trim.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
That was me about the urethane. Just happen to have a tube here but mine are tight.

If those covers are plastic then finding the proper bumper repair kit really would fix it. No idea what replacement cost is though. The bumper kit which uses a harder version of that urethane and reinforcement fabric is about $30 then you need a differ ant type to do the paint side. That one is also $30 but its more like a flexible epoxy so you can sand it.

If someone has an old one they are willing to part with I wouldn't mind trying to figure out what works.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
322 Posts
Replacement covers are about $80 from online MB dealers so it probably isn't worth trying to fix them. I bought a replacement for my cracked one but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'll give the urethane a go when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
I have been using Black shoe polish on the D pillars, also the black door handles.

It works amazing. I read it somewhere here years ago. I just sanded the D pillars to there flat black finish, no scratches left. The shoe polish gives them a sharper black luster making them look painted.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
We used that to bond pieces of aluminium sheet together. When you tried to pull them apart after the aluminum sheet would actually rip. If you can get them new for that its not much more than both repair kits.

Think I may have a tin of kiwi black somewhere have to try that. :) How often do you apply or how long does it last? Used it on boots before but not a car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts