Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2 newbie questions

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cmorosco 
#1 ·
1) does the stock 230 exhaust sound like it has a leak somewhere?? cuz i went to get it inspected today and i had the guy check it out. he says no exhaust leak but i swear it sounds so terrible. the guy said it might be the gay 1 to 2cat to 1 pipe deal....

and

2)HOW the hell do u turn the A/C on... Hot and Cold??

thanks[:)]

#2 ·
1) It sounds like a fart when you get on it from a stop light.

2) The EC button is for economy, i.e. the opposite of an A/C button. You can think of the EC button as an "A/C off" button, which is what they call that button on newer models.

#4 ·
so how can I fix the fart sound? I'm trying to keep the stock muffler or quiet muffer with stock tip

#5 ·
What you may be hearing is actually intake noise. The supercharger sucks a lot of air. If you notice it especially at a stop sign when you accelerate hard, you have relatively low background noise (wind and tires) and lots of blower action. Actually Mercedes did a pretty good job of quieting blower noise IMHO. I have a similar Eaton supercharger (aftermarket) on my Miata and it is loud. It really whines when you step on it. The first time I nailed it after the installation I thought I had broken something. After a while it becomes second nature, and many like me end up finding it appealing.

#6 ·
DickB - 4/28/2005 10:16 PM

What you may be hearing is actually intake noise. The supercharger sucks a lot of air. If you notice it especially at a stop sign when you accelerate hard, you have relatively low background noise (wind and tires) and lots of blower action. Actually Mercedes did a pretty good job of quieting blower noise IMHO. I have a similar Eaton supercharger (aftermarket) on my Miata and it is loud. It really whines when you step on it. The first time I nailed it after the installation I thought I had broken something. After a while it becomes second nature, and many like me end up finding it appealing.
yeah i know what super charger should sound like...this aint it. it is the dumb exhaust.

anyone have a fix for this? i don't want obnoxious sound....I jusdt want the quietest thing of all matter of fact

#7 ·
I think what you're hearing is the 4 cylinder engine before the supercharger kicks in. 230s sounds like old tractors between 1k and 2.5k RPMs. After that the supercharger kicks in and they sound great. I kept asking the dealer about this as well. I thought it was tuned badly but after several dealers checked it and checking out other 230s I realized it's just how the engine sounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.