Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Damn I wish they made that one GEN I cars!

·
Registered
1984 500SEC Euro
100 Posts
I need a gear

Yeah, me too, Has anyone determinmed if the complete subframe from a gen 2 560SEC would fit a gen 1 500SEC?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Sure, it'll swap.

But in reality you have a bunch more ratio options w/ a gen I diff.

Still have my Gen II 2.65 LSD for sale;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
W126-380 SEC
28 Posts
Yes.. I was wondering about one thing, how and is it possible to swap something more beefier in the rear?

I might be a n00b here but I wont to know what fits and not as a LSD

Thx

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,082 Posts
Yes.. I was wondering about one thing, how and is it possible to swap something more beefier in the rear?

Thx
It depends on what year your car is.

If you have a Series 1 car ('79 - '85) you have a wide range of MB differentials to choose from because they share the same design as the W107 and the W116.

If your car is a Series 2 ('86 - '91) your options are limited. The different sub frame of the later models is not compatible with the earlier model and, hence, not interchangeable.

What do you mean beefier?
If you car is a six cylinder, you can upgrade to the beefier V8 diffs which are pretty stout. Not bulletproof, but they've been proven to take upwards of 500 HP.

Sure, an LSD differential will eventually wear out its clutch packs and an abused and neglected differential will fail, but the MB diffs are generally pretty strong and durable.

Now, the AMG Gleason-Torsen locking differential, they are known to fail at a frightening rate. :(

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,396 Posts

Thx
Hi T.C, to take advantage of all the forum features, please make sure to re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page.
It will show how to search the forum etc.
The archive and the DIY stickies have a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.
Cheers

·
Registered
90 560sec, 90 560sel, 92 500sl, 94 e420, 13 e350
284 Posts
Looks like they have this unit for sale forever. I have seen this since last November. I was going to buy it but somehow it just did not happen.

·
Registered
W126-380 SEC
28 Posts
Hi T.C, to take advantage of all the forum features, please make sure to re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page.
It will show how to search the forum etc.
The archive and the DIY stickies have a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.
Cheers
Hehe.. Do You have preWriten post somewhere? Ive seeing that already ^^ Yes I know how to search, but I find limited info.. sorry but someone might shear his knowledge..

2 AxelWulff

I believe I have Series 1 W126.043/1982-1983/380 SEC/M116.963-3.8L V8... The reason I ask about LSD is that I have plans to do a swap to 32V M119 some time this winter, like You and Satish did. I fallow Your food steps ;)

Because of that reason I wonted to swap the diff. as well + LSD to make all that power more useful..

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,082 Posts
I believe I have Gen1 SEC because it is a 83mod.. I have a V8 380 engine in it. The reason I ask about LSD is that I have plans to do a swap to 32V M119 some time this winter, like You and Satish did. I fallow Your food steps ;)
Yes, you have the older type differential, which gives you more options. If you get a differential from an older MB, just make sure it has the ABS sensor.

My car is a Series 2 and I have an open differential from a W126 diesel.

With 275/40 rear tires, I have plenty of traction on dry tarmac.

Wet conditions are a different matter........;)

·
Registered
W126-380 SEC
28 Posts
Yes, you have the older type differential, which gives you more options. If you get a differential from an older MB, just make sure it has the ABS sensor.

My car is a Series 2 and I have an open differential from a W126 diesel.

With 275/40 rear tires, I have plenty of traction on dry tarmac.

We conditions are a different matter........;)
Dont mean to steal this thread, but as long as we at it here, I have few question to You Axel.. Since You did the swap.

How much rewiring is it when swapping a M119 in the SEC? and if You canhelp me to do a list of parts and units I'm going to need?
At the moment I'm in search of a 90-92 SL for the engine, but so far no luck.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,396 Posts
Hehe.. Do You have preWriten post somewhere? Ive seeing that already ^^ Yes I know how to search, but I find limited info.. sorry but someone might shear his knowledge..

2 AxelWulff

I believe I have Series 1 W126.043/1982-1983/380 SEC/M116.963-3.8L V8... The reason I ask about LSD is that I have plans to do a swap to 32V M119 some time this winter, like You and Satish did. I fallow Your food steps ;)

Because of that reason I wonted to swap the diff. as well + LSD to make all that power more useful..
The US 500 / 560 SEC all came with LSD, not sure about the 380 though.

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts
Swap Gen II rear end into a Gen I car

Guys,

When I tried to swap a Gen II rear subframe into a Gen I it would not fit without mods so I just rebuilt the diff into a Gen I case with new bearings and different shims.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,082 Posts
Dont mean to steal this thread, but as long as we at it here, I have few question to You Axel.. Since You did the swap.

How much rewiring is it when swapping a M119 in the SEC? and if You canhelp me to do a list of parts and units I'm going to need?
At the moment I'm in search of a 90-92 SL for the engine, but so far no luck.
Fortunately for me, I outsourced the build to Satish, and can only provide limited guidance on the rewiring issues.

You do want the earliest version of the M119 engine that still used the CIS fuel system. The later LH system is a lot more complex and difficult to wire correctly.

Also, you're not just looking for an engine. You'd want the complete electronics as well. Read up on Satish's write up on the conversion on the MBCoupes website.
My SEC

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
So what LSD diff can i put into my Gen 2 500SEC? As far as i know mine is a 2.44... and its a single spinner... i want quicker take offs, plus LSD, is there an exact list of diffs i can use?

and a bit Off topic but i need a drivers side (right hand drive) camshaft for my 500, im finding it really hard to get any second hand ones in good condition, and my only option at the moment is an aftermarket one from Singapore... the car isn't running too well as a result of a worn camshaft.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,082 Posts
So what LSD diff can i put into my Gen 2 500SEC? As far as i know mine is a 2.44... and its a single spinner... i want quicker take offs, plus LSD, is there an exact list of diffs i can use?

and a bit Off topic but i need a drivers side (right hand drive) camshaft for my 500, im finding it really hard to get any second hand ones in good condition, and my only option at the moment is an aftermarket one from Singapore... the car isn't running too well as a result of a worn camshaft.
MB made quite a few differential ratios for our cars and AMG would modify these with their Gleason-Torsen spider gears to turn them into locking differentials.

The difficult part is availability.

In the US the Series 2 V8s came with a 2.47 diff. LSD was standard on the 560 models. In Europe the V8s came with a 2.65 diff. I believe LSD was standard, but it may depend on the national market the cars was originally sold in.
The diesels had the 2.82 open diffs, which is what I have in my car.

The other ratios available for the V8 were: 3.06, 3.07, 3.27, 3.46.

I'm not sure about the history of the 3.06 vs. 3.07 ratios, but there's got to be some explanation why they made two different diffs with almost identical ratios.

The 3.46 diff for the V8 is pretty rare and not to be confused with the 3.46 differential for the 300 in-line six engine.

I'm pretty happy with mine. The 2.82 is a good compromise between off the line acceleration and comfortable cruising at 80 Mph. with revs at 3,000. The 2.82 is also what MB used in the original 500E (W124).

I don't know about Australia, but your best option may be a wrecker's yard. If you can find a Euro V8 it should have the 2.65 which is a bit better than the 2.47 for acceleration. If you can find a W126 diesel (North America special), it should have a 2.82.

Contact Jonathan about a new camshaft for your engine. I'm not sure how different the cams are on your 5.0L M117.965 engine form the 5.6L M117.968, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
W126-380 SEC
28 Posts
Fortunately for me, I outsourced the build to Satish, and can only provide limited guidance on the rewiring issues.

You do want the earliest version of the M119 engine that still used the CIS fuel system. The later LH system is a lot more complex and difficult to wire correctly.

Also, you're not just looking for an engine. You'd want the complete electronics as well. Read up on Satish's write up on the conversion on the MBCoupes website.
My SEC
Yes, that thread on mbcoupes.com has inspired me to do this swap in the first place. Ive being true this writeup a dozen times already.
Anyhow the Satish SEC is a masterpiece.
Before I start any changes on the car, Id like to know which one would be better starting point, the 1stGen or 2ndGen..
The only advantage of LH system is thats tuneble, compared to CIS. but a man can always supercharge a V8 powerplant to get more juice..

And another question. The ASR rear came only in 91 models, Is it possible to modify a 2ndGen with it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts