Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 SL500 SA, 03 Mercury Marauder, 89 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally took off the hard top and got the car out for a ride this evening. First off, everthing works great.

The ride was cool, but I had my wife with me so windows up, screen up. It almost felt like the top was on, there was so little air movement. I am sure if there was any more I would have been forced off the road to put the top up.

The best part was the view in the rear view mirror. When I was at street speed the dog would sit up and all I would see in the rear view was his big smileing face enjoying the ride. It was really funny. I just can not figure how to take a movie as I am driveing. Maybe if I get a cooperative passenger I can get a shot. It made me laugh or smile every time.

The dog in the signature photo is my previous buddy who now resides in his decorative tin can on the dineing room table. My new guy is a red nose pit from the pound, both really great dogs.
Jay

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,113 Posts
With windows and screen up, the R129 can go over 80+MPH with no wind problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only had it up to about 70 and there was basically no wind and the stereo was easy to hear. I would see 80+ as no problem. Maybe tomorrow will permit a nice windows down ride.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,113 Posts
The stereo will automatically raise the volume too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is great, speed sensitive or noise sensitive?

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Jaywish in that kind of ride you fall in love with the R129. RKH is right: with windows and windstop up you can take your ca to incredible speeds without your wife complaining. I rode more than once at 130 mph cruise speed with the top down (windows and windstop up of course) and my ponytail would stay where it should lol.
God I miss my R129 :(.

Cheers.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
With windows and screen up, the R129 can go over 80+MPH with no wind problem.
I ve done 100-120 MPH without the top and the car handled well... no issues at all...

The only advice is if you have papers or a binder with papers in it, leave it in the trunk...

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SL500, 1999 S500, 1989 560SL, 1979 450SL
33 Posts
I know what its like to see a dogs smile in the rear view mirror.

My lab loves to ride in the rear area with the top down :cool:

Just don't like the dog hair that ends up everywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts