Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first ever Mercedes Bens, I current purchased a 2005 SL- 500 with 28,000 miles. The car has an excellent maintaince record, everything done by the dealer. I am super excited for my new toy, it would be my weekend car (if that).

The car was involved in a minor accident in the front so I need to replace the bumper, grill, head light, and hood. I saw the 2007-2008 SL-550 has a slightly different front end, is it possible for me to interchange the two front ends with NO major modifications being made. Also can am I able to put the 07 tail lights on my 05? If anyone is selling any parts of the front end of the 07 please PM me.

Anything else I should know or be aware of, thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great group of smart guys here and lots of info in the archives.

I don’t know anything about the facelift swap, but feel it is possible, and parts will be expensive. It’s a German thing.
As for things to know, search “buyers guide” and “pre purchase inspection” for a list of potential concerns.

Most important is to change the ABC suspension fluid and filter if dark. Opinions vary, but I’d say every 40K miles with the transmission.
With so few miles, you probably won’t have many system issues, just small items like alarm horns draining the battery.
Keep the rear battery on a maintenance charger at all times if sitting more than 3-4 days.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Congratulations on your new car. Keeping up with maintenance is VERY important on an out-of-warranty Mercedes. Few things that rarely, almost never, done by the dealer that you should look into - transmission fluid and filter, ABC fluid and filter, differential fluid. Add them to your list of things to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys I am going to NEED a new steering wheel. Can someone please help me with the process? What parts do I need to buy ? Thank you guys for helping. I’m definitely changing the active suspension fluid . How much is that at the dealership?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why would you need a wheel? It is a straight swap with the same type wheel. If heated, or different style, you may need to be creative.

Avoid dealers whenever possible. Find a local independent MB shop with good reputation and use them. ABC fluid and filter should run about $3-400.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I will like to upgrade it to a newer version. I need to change it because the airbag deploy with the small accident. 😓😓. What year can I buy it ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yea I will like to upgrade it to a newer version. I need to change it because the airbag deploy with the small accident. 😓😓. What year can I buy it ?
If the airbag deployed, it was not a small accident. :frown

Buying a steering wheel from another car, and installing it, will trip the SRS light on your dash, and it is not an error you can get rid of. That's because there will be a VIN number mismatch between your car, and the VIN Number of the "donor" car. At the minimum, it will require a trip to the dealer to have the airbag re-coded to your VIN, assuming they'll want to do it.

I strongly suggest you shoould go to a body shop and have them look under your car, at the framework. I was recently rear ended by someone, and they only thing that looked bad was the bumper cover was cracked. Once they dropped it, they found all the frame damage and they ended up totaling the car. My airbags weren't even deployed yet the car was a total loss.

These cars are mostly aluminum and magnesium and other alloys, and they can't really be "straightened" like a normal car.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,690 Posts
There is no VIN coding in the airbags. You can swap them from a donor.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On my 05 SL500 I had a permanent SRS light. I was originally told that came on when they (the original owner) swapped the original steering wheel for one with the wood trim.

·
Registered
434 Posts
On my 05 SL500 I had a permanent SRS light. I was originally told that came on when they (the original owner) swapped the original steering wheel for one with the wood trim.
This SRS can be caused by many things. I removed and replaced a steering wheel on my C32, but did not get the ‘clock spring’ back in the right position, causing an SRS error. Could be as simple as straightening the wheel.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This SRS can be caused by many things. I removed and replaced a steering wheel on my C32, but did not get the ‘clock spring’ back in the right position, causing an SRS error. Could be as simple as straightening the wheel.
I'm not sure how a spring could generate a VIN number mismatch, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. That car was totaled about 3 months ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Dudeman
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing