Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys? Wow, I'm glad I found a place where people understand the allure of these cars.. and people my age at that! I'm 19 and have had a '79 280e since I was 16. I picked it up for 2,000. It had 110k miles on it when I bought it (120 now). The engine ran a little rough but after pouring about 4,000 more into it, it runs beautifully, although it still idles slightly rough. The interior is perfect, but the paint is kinda faded. Anyway to the point, I love this car to death, but ends up I might be able to get a really good deal on my friends W124, which kinda appeals to me. I was wandering what you guys think my car might be worth, I was thinking (if i end up selling) asking for about 2,500 - 3,000 at most, Afterall we put about 6k into it! Does that sound fair?? And also, is there anybody in the LA area interested in this car?? I would much prefer to pass it on to a fellow MB enthusiast..

Cheers!
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300E
117 Posts
i want i want! gimme a few days to talk it over with my pops, im 16 and just lost my 300...

i want i want! gimme a few days to talk it over with my pops, im 16 and just lost my 300E, bad accident, look in my gallery to look, and a 280 is what i want now.... im ok with the problems i love to fix things! what do you think the problem is? if its big ill have to think about it

·
Registered
1990 300E
117 Posts
ok my dad says maybe, i need to know, does the AC work? is it cold? hows the mileage? ab...

ok my dad says maybe, i need to know, does the AC work? is it cold? hows the mileage? about 18 right? have you been feeding it premium, what have you replaced with that 6k, what is the VIN#/Serial Number so i can carafax it

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
Hello!

Just remember before you get rid of your MB, that it,s the last "real" MB middle...

Hello!

Just remember before you get rid of your MB, that it,s the last "real" MB middleclass car ever built. The W124 is nice too but it will never come up to those longliving qualities with minor repair as the old W123.You will lose that wonderful sound closing the doors. Save it and save money for a W124 later instead. If you treat it well it won´t get worth less. I´ve been driving a w123 diesel for seven years now. I few months ago i bought a nice 300D with low milage for summer driving only. Here in Sweden they use salt on the roads in the winter so that has killed many MB,s by rust although the engine and transmission will last almost forever. I think you live in one of the best areas in the world when it comes to rust.

Just think it over....

Anders

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 411

d1ck3r: This information may dissapoint, but thats ok as I am not totally sure about selling the car yet. BUT lets see... k the A/C does NOT work, me and my dad actually removed the pump in order to reach the engine block easier and it is still sitting in the garage. As far as milage goes.. i couldnt tell you exactly but around 18mpg sounds right, it definately does waaay better on the highway than on the streets. I usually feed it midgrade 89 fuel, it seems to make it run smoother. i couldnt tell you exactly right now what the money went to, I do know that there were valve adjustments, and that the bulk of the car's initial problems were the result of a cracked cylinder gasket where coolant was leaking through - which was fixed, the radiator and cooling tubes were also replaced. Apparently the previous owners overheated the poor thing pretty badly. The vin # is 123.033-12 050236. I added more pictures of it to my gallery where you can see the milage is at 124,xxx. I had just actually returned from school in San Francisco where it was with me, and where it was slightly vandalized - the hood star was stolen, and my antenna was ripped off.[:(!] I tracked down new replacements but have not bought them yet. I must have made the drive between LA and Frisco about 7 times in the past year quite comfortably (often at speeds in excess of 100mph.) So yea, thats the basic rundown.. shes a little rough around the edges but overall a very solid car.

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i know...

Anders: yea the 123 is definately the last of its kind, thats why I wanted one so badly in the first place. But I dunno, you cant really have fun modifying a 123 since its so classic looking already. Thats why a 124 sounds good to me now, cause I'd like to be able to get some nice rims, euro spec lights, clear corners etc.. which i think would all look rediculous on a 123. BUT if I could have both I would, just cant afford it...[V].

d1ck3r: wow, your 300e was a sweet ride before the wreck! and only 60K miles!!?! thats a big loss, im sorry. i really dig your chromed AMG rims! What made you decide to go for a 123?

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
Hi again!I war looking for a picture i,ve seen earlier with a W123 with 16-inch Zoll r...

Hi again!

I was looking for a picture i,ve seen earlier with a W123 with 16-inch Zoll rims, but I didn´t find it. But i found a picture with a car equipped about the way you described. It,s about as far you can go with a W123 in my opinion. It´s not my car at the picture so you may say what you are thinking. I understand the way you are thinking as you are so young. I also think that there will be some fine oldies left when you reach my age(30)as you live in CA. I´ve got a friend where I work that have imported a 60´Cadillac and a 65´Bonneville from over there and it´s amazing how well they look. You live in a paradise for cars. If it would be easier to import I would buy your car for the price you mentioned. Here in Sweden 280´s in good shape are rare. Most of them were sold as 240-300 diesels and 200-230E with much less equipment than in the US. The diesels were also wery popular as taxis allover Europe.

If you still are considering a W124 I wish you good luck. It´s still a Benz but it´s not a "full metal Daimler"!

Anders

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yea, also the whole front suspension was rebuilt, and all the brakes were redone....

Oh yea, also the whole front suspension was rebuilt, and all the brakes were redone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.