Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2002 clk430 and it had an issue with the idle..seemed to lope or miss. There were no codes stored and no check engine light. I went to my local dealer and purchased a set of plugs,fuel filter and changed the oil. Problem solved! And it really woke up the car. It is SO much more responsive. My car has 60k miles for reference. I highly recommend changing the plugs if you haven't...I don't think they would last 100k like they say. Mine were not in great shape...Just thought I would share my experience.

p.s. It really is a pain in the ass to change the plugs!! Make sure you have plenty of time and a few swivels and different size extensions. Fuel filter was not hard at all. Took me about an hr. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
Howdy. I have a slight rough idle, too. Did you only notice the rough idle when you were at a stop? What kind of plugs did you use?

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Nice! It's always a good feeling to do all the work yourself and feel the difference in the car and your wallet!

By the way, where is the fuel filter located? I used to change mine on my Maxima every 15K miles, and I haven't changed it once in my 430! Do you have pics?

Also, how much did it cost you for the fuel filter? Plugs? Just trying to see how much I am about to spend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel filter is undercar on the right hand (passenger side) under a plastic panel. There are 4 screws to remove which need a long extension to get to. The filter was about 100 @ the stealer but don't forget to buy clamps like I did! You cannot reuse the old ones. Pull the #1 fuse in the fusebox by the battery in the trunk. It really wasn't hard. The plugs I used were the oem from the stealer also...Cost me about 10 each after some bitching about the price..retail was about 14 a pc. Any other questions let me know! And, I probably saved about 300 in labor or more doing the plugs and filter myself! Plus I learned about the mercedes engine...Never played with one before. =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rought Idle

bs00clk said:
Howdy. I have a slight rough idle, too. Did you only notice the rough idle when you were at a stop? What kind of plugs did you use?
I also have a rough idle in my CLK430 when I am at stop lights. I just spent $1,000 at the dealership on plugs and fuel filter with no help. I still have the rought idle. Do you still have the rough idle?

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
MDCLK430: mine's somewhat improved but it still "lopes" a bit...after a Lexus it took some getting used to - I still notice it every once in a while. According to the dealer, this is normal and I've noticed it on every CLK I've ever driven. I would replace the MAF next and then consider motor mounts.

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2000 E55 AMG, 2009 GL550, 1954 LINCOLN CAPRI. 1967 VW BEETLE
249 Posts
strongly consider the motor mounts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts