Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've not put the side mouldings back on yet, and the front bumper rubber looks like shite, but I'm loving the look with the Pentas on there... and it's coming along nicely!

:)

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
VERY NICE!
I have been toying with the idea of taking the side moldings off for good when I re-do the SL next winter.
Your photos ( or is it Fotos?) have helped me make the decision.
The Pentas look amazing. What are they called exactly and what size are they?
Seems as though I have a new quest.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY NICE!
I have been toying with the idea of taking the side moldings off for good when I re-do the SL next winter.
Your photos ( or is it Fotos?) have helped me make the decision.
The Pentas look amazing. What are they called exactly and what size are they?
Seems as though I have a new quest.
Thanks Nobster, although I wish you hadn't said that about the mouldings! It's too late for me to have the holes filled and do without completely with totally invalidating all the money I've already spent on the paintjob!

Although the reason why I haven't out them on yet is that I'm getting new ones, so I'm sure it will look good with, as well.

The wheels are 16 x 8 imitaion AMG Pentas, I'm not sure what brand, but they are made in Taiwan (it says ROC (Republic of China)on the back), with an offset of ET11.

I was going to get new AMG original black centre caps, but now that I have them on, with the current centre caps I'm in no rush, as I like the touch of gold on them to go with the paint, and I'm sure I can wait a bit before spending well over USD$100 on centre caps.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truely Classic wheels, The car too. You dont get rubbing issues?
Thanks Ronald, I'd only had them on the car 30 minutes when the photos were taken, so no problems at that point, and they are the correct offset, so should be fine. And I'm about to replace all the suspension and steering parts and get an alligment anyway, so all should be grand! :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
The wheels are 16 x 8 imitaion AMG Pentas, I'm not sure what brand, but they are made in Taiwan (it says ROC (Republic of China)on the back), with an offset of ET11.
New? Used? Expected cost?

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Congrats Car looks great.

I agree I think it looks quite good without the side molding. Especially with the Euro bumpers it looks clean.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
I want to get my car painted again.:(

PS Your car looks great.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New? Used? Expected cost?
Used Nobby, but in excellent condition. I paid approx AUD$320 for my set (USD$220) but like I said, they are copies.

There is discussion here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1422749-amg-pentas-copies-photos.html about the differenet brand od real and copy Pentas, and the different sizes.

I just sold my real, 15 x 7" Pentas to one of the guys from the OZBENZ forum, for him to put on the 500SEC AMG he bought last Thursday. He flew up from Adelaide and picked the car up, then drove straight to my place to look at the wheels, then I got a drive of his new beast (pictured below), and we met up with Greg from Oz (with his 350SLC not his 500SLC) who had his REAL AMG 16 x 8" Pentas on there (although they are in nowhere near as good condition as my copies), which he bought along with a set of real 15 x 7" Pentas a few weeks back. JoeB from this forum was also there, also with his 350SLC. We had some beers and pizzas, was a good evening.

Anyway, back to Pentas, they can be very hard to find a good set, and expensive to find a good and real set, but keep your eyes open and they do show up.

I bought a whole car (1978 W123 280E) just to get the 15 x 7" Pentas off it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats Car looks great.

I agree I think it looks quite good without the side molding. Especially with the Euro bumpers it looks clean.
Thanks Mike,

It's kind of frustrating that people keep saying it looks better without the mouldings, because I can't avoid putting them back on, but at the same time, it would be quite impractical to leave them off, as there would be a much greater chance of the car getting damaged without them, in carparks etc.

I actually asked the shop that painted it to take off the rear spoiler, and fill the holes, but they forgot, as my rear spoiler is looking quite tatty, but luckily, a friend is doing up his 280SL, and has ofered me his mint rear spoiler for a good price.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
74 Posts
Looks great and I'm sure it'll look just fine with the moldings too. ;) Now that others want to remove their moldings, yours will be unique. Haha. Mine has a ways to go before I feel confident enough to show pics. I just took off the chrome fender trim and it looks so much better. :D

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes 280SL, 2002 Mercedes CLK 320 Sport, 2009 Mercedes ML350
116 Posts
Very nice job! Can you tell us about the paint job? How many coats, wet sanded? It looks brilliant in the pictures. I love the color too. I think with the type of bumpers that are on these things, the side moldings are necessary visually, to continue the line around the car.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Volvo,

I don't honestly know too much about the paint job. The place that did it is one of the best paint shops on Sydney ( Vehicle Color Design Centre Home ), and I relied on the owner, Axel to do a good job. They did not go back to bare metal, because he found a bit of filler in the bode, and the cost could have blown out a lot if they had to go all the way back, end then discover that a lot more prep work was required.

As the car has next to no rust (quite strange for a UK delivered car) I'm not too worried, and as the car will now be stored inside all the time I think it will hold up quite well.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too like the look of no side moldings. The wheels look really good with that color. BTW, What is the color? Thanks tiehacker
Thanks tiehacker, I'll have to take some more photos when the mouldings are back on, so we can compare.

The colour is Icon Gold.

I wasn't so keen on it when I got the car, but I love it now.

Originally the interior of the car was green, luckily it had already been changed to black before I bought it, otherwise I might have vomitted!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The colour is Icon Gold.

I wasn't so keen on it when I got the car, but I love it now.
Same thing that happened to me. When I first got my car out here, I called the color "Unfortunate Orange". The longer I had it, the better I liked the color, and when it came time to get it painted, there was no question about changing the color. I like my orange (British Red, per MB) car, and wouldn't want it to be any other color.

Your car looks great. And I'm also glad someone lost the green interior.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts