Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just bought my first 2002 ML55 and I love it the only thing I hate is that there is a Porsche TT and BMW X5 out there that can kill me light to light. Dont like that. Are there any easy upgrades out there. Maybe air intake...exhaust upgrade, headers or anything. Been searching with no luk. Please help this ML newbie coz I want to be king of the road at least in Chicago...for a while before they come out with the JEep Hem 6.1L yikes!

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Just to go from pont A to B?

Get a Funny Car or any of the alcohol drinking vehicles. Seriously. They are the fastest other than jet cars and bikes at Salt Lake.

What good is speed without control (is that a commercial?) and who wants to speed on public roads anyway.

In a scheme of everything else, what does it mean to "beat" another vehicle -- pride, honor, joy??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just want to maybe get the ML55 up to 350 horses thats it...its a performance suv and thats what lured me to it...I can use it as a family car and it has the oomph when i floor it...some people just don't understand performance autos...

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
"performance"

Different meaning for different folks. I thought my old VW beetle had a good "performance" when I was in high school. It had a good "oomph", too.

For some, it is ridiculous to use the word "performance" w/o the league of Enzo, Porsche GT, GT40/GT50, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so nobody has done any mods to their MLs? at all??? man i was so spoiled with the mustang cobra forums everyone was so involved with aftermarket parts and everyone was so helpful. I just hope that there are other MB fans out there that can help. I have nothing against other people that only do personalization I was just interested to see if there were things available for the car to squeeze a little more performance out of the engine. I guess this is a wrong forum for that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sthu I have nothing against you but you make it seem like its a bad thing to have a fast SUV...i have nothing against your ML320 or whatever if all you want is making it look better...I have an ML55 and it was targeted for folks who liked to have that extra HP available just in case. Sthu this is just my $.02 i dont have anything against you. Iwas just trying to see if forum members here are helpful with ideas or if there are any ideas out there for fellow ML lovers.

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
None taken. [:)]

Majority of the folks (maybe I should't speak for others) here are busy trying to keep our trucks from dying in the middle of the road. LOL.

I'm sure a few "speed freaks" (meant that in a good way) will chime in.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
ML55 guy, click on the Powerchip thread on this forum, maybe they can help you. It's the best way to do what you want. Then enroll in a good performance driving school before someone gets hurt! Thanks! [8D][8D]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a pretty good driver no accidents in 10+ years driving...Mustang Cobra owner too...so no problem with speed...Thanks for the advice on ECU/powerchip upgrade. Any other mods out there available for the ML55?

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
chicagoml55 you can also check renntech they have performance upgrade in stages. Maybe even Brabus..hope this helps

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
most ml owners go only as far as putting on chrome trims and frivolous aesthetics to make their rides look 'luxurious'. jdbower has a charged 55 but dont think he posts here anymore. maybe you shoulda bought an x5? i personally wouldnt waste any money on my ml. all my moneys going into modding the bimmer

chicagoml55 - 5/6/2005 1:06 PM
so nobody has done any mods to their MLs? at all???
[:D]

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
I am a speed freak living in DuPage County

chicagoml55 - 5/6/2005 12:06 PM

so nobody has done any mods to their MLs? at all??? man i was so spoiled with the mustang cobra forums everyone was so involved with aftermarket parts and everyone was so helpful. I just hope that there are other MB fans out there that can help. I have nothing against other people that only do personalization I was just interested to see if there were things available for the car to squeeze a little more performance out of the engine. I guess this is a wrong forum for that.

and all my money now goes to performance mods[already done the chrome aesthetics]. I have a Kleemann kompressor {i.e. supercharger} but it costs $15,000 to install [$11K for the parts]. If that is not a big deal to you you can then blow away any stock X5. You can also do high performance headers, high flow cats and a high flow muffler. I don't know if these products exist for an ML55 but they do for an ML430. Forget intake or chips. You won't get significant 0-60 improvements in a heavy ML unless you supercharge and/or install less restrictive exhaust. Your ECU can be re-programmed to work with all of your mods and get the max horsepower without running lean or rich. Like I said--it ain't cheap but then you drive an ML55 so I'll assume you are not poor. The question is do you love your ML enough to drop wads of cash into it? If not just enjoy the power it has stock. I'm not sure of the bhp to weight ratio of an ML55 but it is pretty damn good and more then most people enjoy in their SUVs.

Renntech is an option but it is WAY more expensive than Kleemann and you have to ship it to Florida for several weeks for them to get it just right(yes I looked into it). The Kleemann can be installed at Knauz in Lake Bluff and you'll get an ML loaner. Check out the site and see what the kompressor can do for you:

www.klemannusa.com

I have put on 13,000 miles with their product and it is just awesome. My ML now has the power it should have had from day one--from my perspective. jdbower has one on his ML55 as mentioned--look him up on benzworld.org and shoot him an e-mail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lochs2 thanks for saving this thread geez people get a little peeved when you start talking bout increasing horses...and not just tacking on some chrome strips...i aint hatin tho...diffrnt strokes for diffrnt folks...thanks for the info...What do you think about the carbon fiber intake from renntech? any experiences with it? what headers are available for the ml55? again lots of thanks theres hope yet for ML owners

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
sthu - 5/6/2005 1:22 PM

Majority of the folks (maybe I should't speak for others) here are busy trying to keep our trucks from dying in the middle of the road. LOL.
That is the truth!!!

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
If that is really the case for most ML owners

ttaleric - 5/6/2005 8:20 PM

sthu - 5/6/2005 1:22 PM

That is the truth!!!
then switch to GM [:eek:)][:eek:)]

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Here is the Renntech rap sheet

chicagoml55 - 5/6/2005 8:11 PM

lochs2 thanks for saving this thread geez people get a little peeved when you start talking bout increasing horses...and not just tacking on some chrome strips...i aint hatin tho...diffrnt strokes for diffrnt folks...thanks for the info...What do you think about the carbon fiber intake from renntech? any experiences with it? what headers are available for the ml55? again lots of thanks theres hope yet for ML owners
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/pdf/W163.PDF

They are so much smoking rope with their prices it's ridiculous.

Again I'll tell you that despite the tantalizing prices of ebay or otherwise mods--don't focus on intake mods or any other ECU trickery. You get what you pay for and there are no cheap mods with legitimate results.

supercharging and upgrading headers is where it's at if you want to feel it in the seat of the pants. period.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Hey "C"..congrat's on the 2002 ML 55, l also, recently picked up a 02 ML 55, with 66,000 Km's on it..As for power....it's unreal...very quick.................................................
Other then the two you mentioned...not too many SUV's will touch a 55..."Lochs"..is dead on....More power..big bucks...l've looked....Maybe a less restrictive exhaust, a free flowing "cat"...l did a Upsolute chip in my 1999 ML 430..l didn't really notice a difference..not worth the $500.00 bucks in my opinion....lt's the whole power to weight ratio, this "rig"..is just so damn heavy...lf we could lose another 300 to 400 lbs, it would certainly help..You know, what they say.."their is no replacement for displacement"...l would wait a year or so, and see if you could pick up a Porsche Cayenne Twin Turbo...for a good price...then watch out...[;)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts