·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
230 Posts
This has been the best mod I have ever done, much better to drive as starting in 2nd always felt sluggish to me. Now it drives like imagined it should. Also, fuel economy has certainly improved (due to not labouring it I guess.)

In Tokyo (very stop start and with traffic jams) I got 300 KMs per tank. In Perth (little traffic - freeways) I immediately jumped to 400KMs per tank and since the FGS Products mod I always get 450 KMs per tank ; )

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
I bought one of these the other day but haven't got round to fitting it yet. What did you set the change up and change down speeds to?

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,898 Posts
Not wishing to appear too naive, for the earlier four speed gearboxes I thought the E and S switch on the gearbox console could give first gear starts if S mode was selected

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
Redliner, unfortunately not, you only get first by manually selecting it on the lever, or by hitting the kickdown switch from a standing start. This module allows you to wire it so that you have first all the time, or only when in "S" mode if you prefer

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
RedLiner said:
Not wishing to appear too naive, for the earlier four speed gearboxes I thought the E and S switch on the gearbox console could give first gear starts if S mode was selected
Hi Redliner,
Stuart is correct, the operation you described does apply to the newer 722.6 5-speed electronically contolled tranny though.

However, with our older trannys i just want to add that you can also get first gear start if when at standstill you not only bring the lever to the "B" (first gear) but then return the lever up to D, and the car will start in first gear. But next time you come to a stop you'd have to perform the same manouver again if you wanted first gear start again...

·
Banned
230 Posts
The ones imported to Japan (where I bought all mine) don't get the S and W switch on shifter, even if it did work for 1st gear. All those that commented above are correct about B being the only way to start from 1st.

I left mine on the default setting which they say is to change at 10KPH but it seems to me more like 15KPH. I like it the way the default is set, but easy to change with a laptop and software they supply. You are supposed to enter your wheel and tire sizes to get accurate readings, as the module will also calculate your 1/4 mile times etc. However I have 17" rims on low profile tyres so I guess they would be about the same as the 16" rims with standard tyres. I like the way it drives now but the main reason I did not set it with the laptop is that they fitted the module under the dash very nicely and I could not be bothered undoing the screws to get to it for setting.

Bottom line is, I would never have the 4 speed trans without the first gear start again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts