Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled the cover and I only have a large battery 3/4 the sixe of the box, thought there would have been two.. Which is better?

There is plywodd on all 4 sides, good/bad idea?

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Are you 12 or 24 volt? If 12, the battery for a diesel 123 series Mercedes diesel works well. Plenty of CCA for the 5.7 diesel, plenty big (will fit the battery box), and it's available at any parts store. Plywood might not be bad as it will prevent a short in the chance that the battery breaks loose and tips against the box.

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
When I owned that machine I had the case modified to fit a North American 4D battery, they are slightly larger then the European equivalent found in Unimogs.

Unless someone changed the case you'll have no problem fitting a 4D and that will provide you with enough current to get the engine turning over on a cold day.

Jason

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
I Agree : 12V = one large ( High CCA) battery.

24V = 2 high CCA 12V batteries, in series .

Plywood interior sides are a bit hillbilly, but the purpose is clear = The battery box is a ground, and on a 24V system, you have a couple of chances of
completing a circuit with a long wrench, a fumbled wrench or some other bit of talent...

With a 24V system, you have a personal spot-welding operation, and your face is right in there. The inclination to arc is persuasive.

I insulated my battery box interior sides with a plastic sheeting (SINTRA) to
avoid any sparks, since the quarters are tight, and other stuff...,

it is surprising how many combinations are available to create a fireworks show.
Having the main battery switch OFF does not prevent local welding...

My Battery box, is not factory, it is a stainless thing that was built for the previous owner. It does not have the slide-out tray like the factory box, so it is a bit trickier to work with...

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 12 v setup. It has a very large battery ( by car standard) and a huge chunk of 6x6 to keep it from sliding

1 - 5 of 5 Posts