Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350, 2005 CLK500 Conv., 2003 ML350 Sport(sold), 2007 C230 (sold), 2001 SLK320 Sport (sold)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the W163 section without any response... it is an obscure question but maybe someone in this forum can answer it.

I purchased a set of four Carlsson 2/5 rims for my 2003 Mercedes ML350 Sport. They are the 19x10 inch size front and rear. I am having trouble finding the correct lug bolts. I took these rims to my local Discount Tire to get them mounted and they said that the stock bolts were too long and I needed a 14 x 1.5 lug bolt with a 34 or 35 mm shank thread length. It was also very important that they are the ball seat lug bolts.

I found a set on eBay that were close to what I was looking for ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7963788474&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

But these were too short by a few millimeters (31mm thread). Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of ball seat lug bolts that are 14 x 1.5 with a 34 or 35 mm shank thread length?

I know that these rims were mounted on the same type of vehicle before and the owner used the stock lug bolts (cut down) and just threaded them into the hubs on the car. The stock bolts are not threaded all the way to the ball seat and he probably ended up ruining his hubs because the unthreaded part of the bolt would start to be pulled through the treaded part of the hub when the rims were torqued down. He sent me these bolts and I can see this happened and I don't want to strip out the threads in my wheel hubs and not have them screwed completely in. I don't think that would be very safe and I think that would cause more lug breakage and loosening.

Any reply would be appreciated. I would like to mount these rims and tires but cannot seem to find the correct lug bolts anywhere locally. Thank you.

·
Registered
Various
18 Posts
Hi,
Probably I am late in replying. I am Rolf from RAD, we are manufacturers of wheel fasteners.

I was shocked when I read your story! The stock lug bolts are unsafe for Carlsson wheels because of the different ball seat radius. Carlsson wheels require R12 seat and I suppose you would need our reference 41-5-36KU24 (M14X1.5, 36mm useable length and the R12 ball seat).
Probably, the R14 seat of the sock lug bolts has damaged the seat in the wheel, you need to check that.
Would invite you to contact [email protected] if you still need proper lug bolts. They won't cost a fortune....
Greetings from Germany.
Rolf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts