Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
190E, SLK350
67,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of torquing was used to tighten them in place? I can't seem to make them budge as I am trying to install new front rotors.
Any tricks?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,758 Posts
There is loctite on the caliper bolt threads. You'll need a sturdy box end wrench and a heavy rubber or dead blow hammer. A few strong hits will brake the loctite then the bolts will come out. Somewhat stiff, but they'll come. Reinstall with a drop or two of loctite.

Good luck

Jayare

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
190E, SLK350
67,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jayare, I tried the hammer thingy but I must have not hit it hard enough. I will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Longer breaker bar!

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,400 Posts
+1 on using a breaker bar. I use a collapsible tire wrench to get the caliper bolts to loosen.

Anything else is just a struggle, and be sure to use a couple of drops (only) of fresh Blue Loctite on the bolts during reassembly.

·
190E, SLK350
67,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooo little space to work with, I am still fighting it and it ain't budging.
I don't have a lift so I am working with the wheel up from the nearest jackpoint.

·
Registered
92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
4,492 Posts
Turn the wheel so you can get to the bolts and try the 2 wrench trick, where you fit the pne onto the other extending leverage.

·
190E, SLK350
67,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!
I kicked it with my foot. I kicked a 3/4 flat wrench from under the car while laying down on back. It worked like a charm.
Just finished installing the rotor and pads on one side but had to stop because it's raining now. Tomorrow is another day another brake.

·
190E, SLK350
67,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done!

All four wheels have new rotors and pads. Here are some of the issues I notice while working on the car:
One of the pins that holds a pad inside the front passenger caliper wasn't inserted all the way. The old rotor felt like it had an uneven surface. The pad that wasn't attached the pin was worn out at angle where the little sensor was almost showing.
On the other side, the front driver side, one pad seemed to have been wedged in by force and it wasn't moving at all. I had to remove it after I unbolted the caliper. It was stuck real good in there.
I was wondering what kind of clown mechanic did all this brake work before I purchased the car? No wonder it felt weird sometimes when I applied the brake. It would sound and feel like a warped rotor then sometimes after braking to a stop and when I start moving I would hear an awful rubbing sounds where part of that sound is like transmitted to the steering wheel where I would feel something.
Anyway, I test drove the car after I replaced everything and none of those pesky problems showed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts