Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R129 sl320 '99 / W201 190E '90
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Door card off.
Two brackets of the X of the window regulator are warped.
Any reasonable, obvious explanation? If I replace the regulator I need to find out if there is a root cause so that it doesnt warp again. - my car body man replaced the rivet with a screw last year because the main rivet in the regulator had become loosened in the hole.

The Central rivet where the regulator connects to the interior of the door - there is a delay from pressing the window up switch as the regulator gathers itself together before pulling the glass off centre and then moves up AND quite a bit of 'give' (5mm) at this central rivet in towards the car interior when the regulator is asked to gather itself together.
Door open (glass fully up , but therefore automatically down the few mm's), when closing the door, the rear top corner of the glass is rotated slightly down (with me in the drivers seat ,behind my right ear) tips off the hard top vertical metal seal strip before sitting into place and sliding up the few mm's automatically. So, off centre, door bangs it into the vertical rail and slides into line properly.
I'll be taking a few photos this afternoon and will post them.....I know, this must be so exciting for you all, the anticipation of the next chapter of the not so erotic adventures of darragh and his door glass.
Thank you
Darragh

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poundy
Thanks, If it were only that simple... I tried those adjustments but the regulator is the problem I'd say.
Kind regards
DArragh

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
In some cases the resistance/ lack of lubrication bends the plate with the teeth that is made from pot metal.

Putting it in a vice and carefully bending it back in shape will restore it.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks aam,
I think I'll just take it out and have a look - i have never put in rivets
9would screws do the job?) you don't happen to know if the rivets (which I know are 6x18mm are available in any hardware or are they special merc ones?
Regards
DArragh

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
They are just large rivets, naturally you need a large puller to install them.
I think that you can use screws with locktight.
I know that autohausaz sells them.
But in Ireland I have no idea.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts