Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering both a 1999 and a 2000 E55 AMG. I know there were some cosmetic changes to the front air dam, taillights, steering wheel, etc., but what were the major things to change for 2000? Any info you experts can provide will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2010 GLK350 4matic->2012 E550 4matic
149 Posts
I'm considering both a 1999 and a 2000 E55 AMG. I know there were some cosmetic changes to the front air dam, taillights, steering wheel, etc., but what were the major things to change for 2000? Any info you experts can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Mainly the +/- transmission versus the gated old style.

You get a full digital screen inside the speedometer with the 2000+ models.

Better seats on the 2000 too, multi-contour.

That's mainly it.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
Re: Re: 1999 vs. 2000 E55 AMG

Better seats on the 2000 too, multi-contour.

That's mainly it.
There is no difference in the seats for 1999 or 2000 - they are both multi-contour.

If you can afford it get the 2000. Looks better with lowered front end and upgraded lower body pieces, free maintainance, Factory Navigation is available, Tele-Aid, digital cell phone option, however, the new V60 phone only works in 2001+ cars, nicer blacked out taillights. Voice Recognition is an option.

·
Registered
E55
14 Posts
According to several sources, the '99 has slightly faster pickup and overall HP at the wheels, due to the later switch to tip-shifting and associated transmission change - I don't know the mechanical reason for the power diff, I'm sure someone else here does.

Albeit a minor difference, I noticed driving both a 99 and an 02, the 99 was more apt to burn rubber on hard acceleration. This may be due to a slightly more sensitive gas pedal/throttle line on the 99. The throttle on the 02 was a little smoother (only a subtle difference). Other than that, no performance diff. On the other hand, you don't have electronic shifting - you have to move the shift gate physically up and over to change gears.

I bought a 99 recently, and I do like the accelerator. (glaring understatement)

If the 99 has low miles, you'll have a little extra money left over for new wheels, installed radar detector, etc.

Either way, go for it! You won't be sorry. This is like my decision between black or silver - ultimately you're going to love it either way, and probably justify your decision to go with X over Y with complete and total satisfaction!

E55Bliss

·
Registered
E55 AMG
10 Posts
Something else I noticed when testing a 99 against the facelifted 2001 is the sound-proofi...

Something else I noticed when testing a 99 against the facelifted 2001 is the sound-proofing is much improved in the later model. That's to say the engine is only obtrusive at high revs and in a muscular kinda way. On the 99 model it was just plain noisy on full acceleration, although exhilarating if you like that sort of thing.

Agree about the throttle sensitivity - I wouldn't relish town driving in the 99 but you could take your granny to church in the facelift model.

-------------------
2001 E55
2001 Falco
2002 VTX
1948 Ferguson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts