Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody im wondering if anybody can help me out,i own a vito van on a v reg 1999 plate. the van itself is supurb and i love it but ever since i got it the gear change has always been a bit notchy . and iv recently been finding it difficult to get reverse gear it appears that you really have to pull it back into reverse to get it to engage . a gentleman at mercedes told me the cables get streched and to replace the cables and it will be fine . is it a common problem with these vans and also is it a job which someone with good mecanical skills could do themselves. any help would be great cheers guys and thank you .

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sg1. I'm going to slide this over to the V-Class section for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you remove the ash tray below the gear leaver there is some adjustment on the cables. I got a friend to assist me and with one of us checking inside the engine compartment and the other making small adjustments we were able to get reverse much easier. It is a bit of trial and error.

Dekay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks i will try that over the weekend do you have any idea how easy or difficult changing the cables are . cheers sg1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was under the dash on satuarday afternoon adjusting the gear linkage cables it looks like someone has had a go at it at some point . i wll need to replace one of the cables which im not looking forward to , but i can get reverse easy now . any advice on changing the cables would be gratefully accepted, also are there workshop manuals which us vito owners can get our hands on cheers guys [ sg1 ]

·
Registered
Vito 113, X-Trail
174 Posts
sg1 said:
i was under the dash on satuarday afternoon adjusting the gear linkage cables it looks like someone has had a go at it at some point . i wll need to replace one of the cables which im not looking forward to , but i can get reverse easy now . any advice on changing the cables would be gratefully accepted, also are there workshop manuals which us vito owners can get our hands on cheers guys [ sg1 ]

TRY EBAY UK:

I bought the Peter Russek manual and it's very basic. Also, some of the specs in the manual are inconsistent from page to page so be careful.

I am thinking of getting the CD version. If it's in PDF. I got one for my Nissan x-trail and it's already paid for itself ten times over!

Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPRINTER-VITO-VARIO-ATEGO-AXOR-ACTROS-WORKSHOP-MANUALS_W0QQitemZ150026056342QQihZ005QQcategoryZ123877QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-Benz-Vito-V-Class-CDI-Repair-Manual_W0QQitemZ220005596995QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18421QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had that problem and i have had that solved by buying a new N/stock lever part number MA000 260 04 37 at croydon mercedes dealers 0208 665 7800 at 25.19 pounds, which is placed by the top of the gear box and can be easily replaced. The cause of the problem is that the lever extension is worn and is not engaging in the grove by the gear linkage on top of the box. I had it sorted and my van engages the gears perfectly. It began with the reverse then i lost the fifth gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do not bother with the cables yet as i had all that changed before i noticed the problem. There is a small piece of plastics which comes with the lever that has to be fitted on the extension on the lever.Worry not it is just a 10 minute job for a novice and am really excited i have solved it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also check that the counterweight arm on top of the gearbox has the oblong white plastic bush in it, if this is lost there is too much play when shifting gears to allow the counterweight to help by "pulling" the linkage fully engaged. Also helps to use a spray lube on this area.

Bush not available, have to have the whole counterweight arm, but it makes gear engagement 100% better for it.

ff :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 99 vito. One of the cables broke and i could only get 1st, 3rd and 5th. My local garage replaced both cables with mb parts for £220 inc parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not bother with the cables yet as i had all that changed before i noticed the problem. There is a small piece of plastics which comes with the lever that has to be fitted on the extension on the lever.Worry not it is just a 10 minute job for a novice and am really excited i have solved it.
Yes it’s very common it’s the gear stick bush that goes £10 for the replacement part on eBay
20 mins to fit easy job

1 - 14 of 14 Posts