1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I'm new here.

I just bought a 1999 SLK230...4 days after buying it the top won't go down.:(

At first only the trunk would open, the windows would go down and the motor would keep running. Now the red power switch just blinks.

Any advice and thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The 1999 models had some problems with micro switches.....

There are a few switches that can cause the problems that you describe. One is under the "brushes" on the right side of the trunk. There are a couple more in the upper part of the windshield. See if you can do a search to find some help with this. If not, American Pie had some info that has proved helpful in the past.
As far as the light blinking, that may be the swith that is operated by the "window shade" trunk cover check the thin blade activated switch I think on the right side where the shade locks in place. That is the first switch that would activate that light.
I imagine you are aware that the "window shade" must be in place to lower the roof.....

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I was aware of the shade issue, that's defintely not what this problem is.

I'm taking it to my mechanic tomorrow, so hopefully it won't be anything too serious.

At least the top was UP not down when this problem arose.

K

·
Registered
2002 - SLK 32
40 Posts
Roof Switch Fix

I posted this on the "other" forum, but the pictures disappeared. Maybe it will keep better over here.

As many, I had the roof not raising problem with my 1999 SLK230. The fix was replacing three switches. See the service bulletin below.
Roof Service Bulletin.gif

I installed the switches myself. It only took a couple of hours to do.

The switches are located as follows:

comS69-1.gif
comS69-2.gif

The S69/2 and S69/3 switches are on the same cable assembly. Just remove the headliner (see below) and follow the cable. It goes from S69/3 across to S69/2. Then along the passenger side roof line. Down through the roof mechanism and into the trunk. The only major tricky part was getting at the connector in the trunk. I left the existing switch assembly in place and routed the new cable next to it. Then I worked my way along the old assembly and snipped the wire ties, pulled the old out and wire tied the new in. It was a little tedious but not to bad.

The S69/1 switch is very easy. Remove the trim on the windshield header. It is a very short wire run.

One tip. Have the roof partially open when you start. It will make it easier to manipulate the roof position to route the wires.

Have fun.

Headliner removal:

Copy of hliner1.gif Copy of hliner2.gif Copy of hliner3.gif

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
10 Posts
top prob

good morning. doug was right!! thank you. took them 3 times getting the car before they checked what you had told me. i even had printed out the parts sheet and took it in. hopefully, back today and there will be no more problems. got this last sunday and been back 3 times. good luck and listen to doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts