Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL600 (69k miles), 1998 SL500 (sold, owned from 67k-91k miles)
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read everything on this forum about ADS-II and downloaded the manual, I am left with questions about the symptoms I am experiencing and what the most likely remedies would be. As usual I am hoping @mahunt can lend his wisdom from 200k+ miles of SL600 ADS-II motoring!

I have almost 69k miles on my 1999 SL600, having purchased it at 55k miles four years ago. Nothing in the VMI indicates ADS repair, and the VMI covers dealer service up to my purchase, so we can assume all parts are original. I have never seen an ADS warning light or error code, hence the diagnostic challenge.

SYMPTOM #1: Over my four years, I've noticed increasing impact harshness in the car, to the point where now seemingly any crack or seam in the road sends an unfiltered THWAP through the chassis. It frankly wasn't great in the first place, and it's objectively pretty bad now. Sometimes the chassis will be palpably unsettled by an impact, almost scuttling sideways, as opposed to gliding over the road as I assume the engineers intended. Notably, I just replaced the motor and transmission mounts, which did wonders for vibrations and general driveline refinement, but had no effect on this symptom.

SYMPTOM #2: There's no discernible difference between ADS regular and Sport modes. In fact, there never has been.

SYMPTOM #3: There's a lot of squat when I accelerate hard, and a lot of dive when I brake. Is ADS-II supposed to mitigate squat and dive? If so, what might be preventing my system from adequately performing these functions?

SYMPTOM #4: When I park the car and turn it off, the front suspension sits up too high. It looks goofy. I can't tell WHEN the raising happens -- it's properly lowered while driving at speed -- but by the time I put the transmission in Park, the deed is done. To rectify, I can simply start the car back up, and presto, the nose visibly lowers and stops looking silly. But I doubt Mercedes meant to require another ignition cycle in order to park the car non-goofily.

REMEDIES: I am currently shooting in the dark, hence this post. I'm tempted to have all four suspension accumulator balls replaced, just to see if that at least takes care of Symptom #1. But it would be ideal to get a clear assessment of all these symptoms before I proceed. Thanks in advance for all thoughts on this.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,005 Posts
I too bought my 99 SL600 4 years ago with the same milage and now at 66k. I have replaced the accumulators and pump plus every bushing front and rear at 63k.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 (69k miles), 1998 SL500 (sold, owned from 67k-91k miles)
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @FATHERTIME -- can you comment on the symptoms you noticed before you replaced those items, and on how the car felt after the work was done? I'm curious to know if your symptoms were similar to mine. Are there any symptoms I listed that you did NOT notice in your car?

Also, do you have a list of all the bushings, by chance? I'd like to look into taking care of those myself, assuming they made a big difference in your experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts