Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was backing up out of a drive way last night with a slight hill at the bottom, and heard a big boom as if I backed into something. Next thing I know the car is slowing rolling down the hill. I can shift gears but into each gear its a loud grinding sound. Car was still rolling forward when car was placed in park. No matter what gear it is in it rolls forward. Do you guys think I need a whole new transmission. The car has 114,500 miles on it, and I had no problems until now.. This was totally unexpected. And what you guys think will be the resale value if I dont get a new transmission. Thanks

·
Registered
S280 ,another s280,turbo 500 SEL bountyhunter beachbuggy,59 ford pop,vito
236 Posts
Snapped driveshaft is more likely but suspect it would be less grindy noise and moreclangy as the driveshaft flails around
Worth a closer look anyway

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bolt was found where the incident occurred. Would a bolt come from the transmission or the driveshaft?

·
Registered
1 Posts
maybe the driveshaft was broken,because my ride have same trouble last week..
and the first,i hear a big boom sound,n when my transmission at R n D,i hear a grinding soung..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look under car... noticed a pipe hanging slightly towards the middle center. And whatever it was attached to had a crack in it... Is this the driveshaft?

·
Registered
S280 ,another s280,turbo 500 SEL bountyhunter beachbuggy,59 ford pop,vito
236 Posts
Does i the tube look shiny at one end (the broken hanging end) should be a solid bar rather than a pipe though
Sounds like you have snapped the driveshaft to me and sheared on of the bolts holding the cv joint on at the diff end
We need pictures really to diagnose the problem properly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea its a solid pipe. it not hanging a certain end, its hanging in the middle, and where its hanging its like 4 bolts that attach the tube together. I will try to upload a pic. but will a snapped driveshaft cause the car to continue to move forward even if in park..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1999 S500 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM HELP!!!!!!!UPDATED

I took my car on yesterday, and got it back today. Was a very minor porlbem. A few bolts holding the main tube of the driveshaft together were loose and came out causing the driveshaft to drop down just a little to the point where the transmission could not rely to the back wheels. It onyl cost $170 to fix. And if anybody lives in the DC MD VA area, check out Five star auto repair at 7702 east backlick road in springfield va.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts