Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my ML on the interstate and pulled off to get gas and noticed and burning smell and smoke coming from the engine on the passenger side. I opened the hood and saw a wire that looked like it went to a sensor or control dealing with coolant since coolant hose appeared to be connect to this. The car was not running hot nor any warning lights were on. I had to pour water on the wire to put out the flame. The car will start and run but i am afraid to drive it. Does anyone have a clue what this could be?

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
I thought older MLs didn't have the coolant level sensor. Does 1999 ML430 have a coolant level sensor?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
Are you referring to the aux cooling pump? This is the device located on the passenger side of the engine with coolant hoses attached to it.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
273 Posts
99 ML must have a coolant sensor, because there is a low coolant warning light. At least that would make sense.

·
Registered
99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
616 Posts
99's do have a coolant level sensor otherwise how would our coolant level warning light work. At least this is the case from my 11/98 production 99 model.

·
Registered
1999 MTrash 430, its a joke
190 Posts
Are you referring to the aux cooling pump? This is the device located on the passenger side of the engine with coolant hoses attached to it.
Magweed is right. More than likely the pump has seized, causing excessive current draw.

Also the coolant level sensor is a resistance circuit only, no load through the wires. And the sensor is under the resrvoir bottle which is above the engine, attached to the firewall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts