Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
It can all be a learning experience and you can get parts more affordably than ever from places like www.fcpeuro.com, AutohausAZ, Amazon, etc.

Save the Labor.

I guess the other picture is what kind of shape the rest of the Truck is in, does it justify the effort or is it beat to heck already ?

Only you can say about that...

Our 2002 ML500 is in very nice condition & now requires minor fixes occasionally.
But I know it very well & it fulfills every function of family hauler, is very satisfying to drive & saves a $500 + monthly payment.

So, weigh you options & best wishes - David in Texas

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
546 Posts
For your information, it isn't always necessarily the fuel lines that leak. I had a leak and it was due to the fuel pump cap. It was cracked. It will leak and emit fumes also. You really will not know until you actually have an apart. It's also extremely important to be really clean about your work. If you drip fuel on the interior of the vehicle, you will be nauseated for a long time.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
This job is not terribly difficult it is more time consuming.
Indeed. That video was helpful to see how seats unbolt & swing upwards, then peel carpet & cover & viola, there you are at the pump head & lines.

I'm watching as I need to do fuel filter R & R and I'll probably go that exact route to make sure lines don't break.

This isn't hard to access, compared to some. I had a 96 Dodge Ram Van 2500 (with 318 V8) anyhow it had an intank pump and there was no internal access, you had to drop the tank. And of course, it was inevitably full of 35 (!) gallons of fuel when the pump quit. Talk about a hassle !!! Lots of Fuel Cans & big job.

This is a piece of cake in comparison !

21 - 23 of 23 Posts