Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mechanic out looking at my car but he didn't have time to repair and has been too busy since then. He told me 1 of the 3 fuel lines is broke/leaking but we will need to pull the back seat in order to determine which of the 3 lines is leaking. He said it will probably take an hour to remove the seat. Is it really that complex? Are there hidden screws? Once the seat is pulled what else needs to be pulled to expose the lines? I have been told once the seat is out it shouldnt be hard to find lines and follow them. My 320 gushes gas when started so once I start car very easy to figure which line is leaking. I am just trying to make sure it is not a nightmare project to remove seat and get to fuel lines.

THANKS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic said it is leaking from 1 of 3 fuel lines that I will need to pull back seat to determine which of the 3. The way it leaks once started I think has to be main line in but just a guess

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
Mechanic said it is leaking from 1 of 3 fuel lines that I will need to pull back seat to determine which of the 3. The way it leaks once started I think has to be main line in but just a guess
This is user to user forum. You take stuff apart we help you fix it. You take it to the shop it is between you and them. There is no mediation.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Excuse Witek he is a bit ornery tonight, but he means well. He is a good guy and knows ml’s inside and out.

Artamous what he is getting at is are you attempting this repair or your mechanic. If you we will be more then willing to help out, your opening was a bit vague on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will gladly remove seat to have out so mechanic can start when he gets here and save me $100. I have been told if I can find basic mechanic a lot of them can fix so maybe cheaper mechanic too. I don’t want repair costing so much since car can’t be worth that much these days.
Thanks to both of you

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Google Search Benz world how to access ml fuel pump. Under rear left passanger seat, under carpet, you will find the access panel. Depending on mileage you may also wish to have a new fuel pump installed as well.

The on-site search engine is not very effective as google. Your mechanic should be able to take it from there.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Artamous,

If you do some of this yourself, you can save some $$.

Never mind Witek, that's the difference between us baby boomers and the rest of the other younger Gen's. (besides, it seems he forgot to take his meds again.... today)

Follow the R&I pdf in post #1 to remove your rear seats in preparation if you go the indie route - DIY - Fuel pump remove & install

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
IMO getting the seat out is probable the worst part of the job.

Having done it three times I have it down to 30 minutes. Don't forget to get the bolts hidden under the plastic trim near the outer edge of seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks reading posts I am tempted to try removing seat. Some postings I have read say could be up to 18 bolts. I will try to get off work early and do later today. I will keep checking for other info and tips. Thanks again

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Not absolutely required to remove the rear seats, according to the posts, if you read it, as well here:
goto 420min

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Not absolutely required to remove the rear seats, according to the posts, if you read it, as well here:
goto 420min
Correct.

Just to note he still unbolted it just did not remove it from the car. If you do it that way be sure you prop it up securely that seat is heavy!

But if you are having a mechanic finish off on the lines he may insist it is totally out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
goto 420min

I will look at this but I need to replace fuel line not filter but worth looking if any chance of saving time or steps on project I have never done. THANKS

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
I will look at this but I need to replace fuel line not filter but worth looking if any chance of saving time or steps on project I have never done. THANKS
There are several lines involved here they run from the fuel pump to the fuel filter, then from the fuel filter to the engine compartment, then from the engine compartment back to the gas tank. If your mechanic wants to be able to get to the fuel pump chances are it is one of those lines.

Yep procedure is the same as if replacing the fuel filter. Again if you’ve not recently replace the fuel filter while you’re doing all this you may want to look into having that replaced. It is awful hard to replace the fuel filter without accessing the fuel pump most find it easier to do it as in the video, because if you don’t you stand a very good chance of breaking the fuel line

As I’ve said depending on how many miles are on the car you may want to think about replacing the fuel pump. At least when the broken line is replaced the mechanic, while everything is apart, should take a reading at the fuel rails to see what your psi is if not within the parameters then the fuel pump will need to be replaced. And when you replace a fuel pump you always replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to find out fuel pump was replaced just a few thousand miles/2 years ago. Between weather and tax deadlines I have not had a chance to try this yet but will update in case I come across problem. Thanks again for all the help and advice

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,729 Posts
I was able to find out fuel pump was replaced just a few thousand miles/2 years ago. Between weather and tax deadlines I have not had a chance to try this yet but will update in case I come across problem. Thanks again for all the help and advice
Sounds to me like who ever replaced the pump last time has damaged the fuel line connector. If your going to attempt this job you’ll need the proper fuel fitting pliers. Be prepared to have to replace one of the lines just hope it’s not the one going up to the engine. Best case is it might just push back on. If it does try pull it off by hand just to make sure it’s not damaged.
Run the engine before you put it all back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts