Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking at a 99 E320 4matic w/ 54K miles on it. I have test driven it and it's in great shape.

Can someone tell me where to look to see if the car has Vehicle Stability Control? I know the traction control can be turned on and off but the stability cannot,and it was an option until 2001 or so. I'm not sure if this vehicle has it; it has some nice options like the bose premium sound and heated seats but I'm not sure how to tell if it has traction control - without lettin' it fly and then jamming the steering wheel in one direction :)

I'm sure the VIN might tell me and I'll follow up w/ the owner on his original documentation as this option would have, I assumed, been line-itemed on the original purchase docs.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
PM me the VIN and i'll give you a full read out of the cars spec.

I'm a little confused by your question but here's what i think you want to know: all 1999 W210's have traction control, but no VSC (except ASR which can be switched off). If you want to be able to tail out just turn off the ASR (orange triangle will appear in the speedometer).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want to know if the vehicle has stability assist. ASR is what Benz calls Traction Control and in most vehicles one can turn this off; stability assist was optional in 1999. as far as i know, there's no on/off button for this so it's not a self-evident option unless the VIN reveals this info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The stability feature you're wondering about is called ESP (Electronic Stability Program). The control button is located on the center console forward of the shifter. You can't miss it if it is equipped with this option.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wood'sbenz said:
The stability feature you're wondering about is called ESP (Electronic Stability Program). The control button is located on the center console forward of the shifter. You can't miss it if it is equipped with this option.
I'm almost certain you're talking about the on/off switch for the traction control, which can be turned off in all cars. I wasn't aware the stability program in any car equipped with this functionality had an on/off switch? does anyone have a picture of it on a 99?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts