Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 & 2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is going to sound a little wired and unorthodox.

Last night I was filling my E320 with Premium Fuel while it was running, I know your not supposed to do that. Any ways the fuel pump did not shut off at the dollar value I had selected resulting in the tank overfilling.

When this happened that car girgled a little then discharged a large backfire and stopped.

After cleaning up the spilled fuel I attempted to restart the car with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this and how I can fix it.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
I bet this it the first one on this forum.
My guess it, that you flooded charcoal canister and busted bunch of sensors.
Would try to siphon about 5 gallons out, let is stand in well ventilated place for a day and try to restart.
If you are lucky it will, if not -you are at the mercy of stelership.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
There is a ventilation line from the tank to the engine (dunno where exactly it ends, but it goes through the electrical valve/air pump(?) near the left fender - when the car is running it goes "clik click click" very quickly).

It is supposed to vent the gas fumes from the tank. It is not supposed to sip gasoline. It probably recirculates the fumes either through EGR or into the intake. My best guess is it spilled gasoline in the intake and the resulting explosion broke some rubber insulation - or something else...

Leaving a car running is a BAD idea for numerous reasons, hope you learned :p

(I only did it once with diesel - battery ran out and it was nearly dry, it wouldn't crank anymore yet kept running, but without electricity the fuel level sender doesn't worn. I had to wait till morning to get home without headlights and I stopped at a gas station and filled the running car - but again, it was a DIESEL and diesel is not really flammable...)

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Shane. Please take a moment to complete your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

Zviratko probably hit on the problem with his reply. I've had backfires in non-MB gassers which did dislodge pieces from the intake. That allows another air path which is unmetered and thus the mixture is way too lean. Do a good visual inspection of all of the pipes which connect to the intake.

And you might need to clean the purge valve. There are instructions for that, linked from one of the DIY threads above.

I hope you won't refuel while running again. It may not have averted the trouble, as you could have had the same problem upon restart. But most of all, I am glad for you that you didn't have a fire.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Just how did you manage to get the car home if it did not start ? Towed?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
You

out ran the system,do as above remove so fuel,let it sit and the fuel will evap from the recovery system or replace the charcoal canister.
Not the first time and probably not the last that this has happened to a member that did the big no no or tried topping off the tank to often another big no no:eek:
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Than (again) I've been topping off all my cars my for whole life, what include about 7 Mercedes brand. On newer gasoline cars I usually keep squeezing the nozzle lever about 5 times and than let it run to even dollar number. Most of the time it will take 1.5 gallons from the first nozzle shut off.
On the diesel W124 even using the big truck nozzle, I was able to fill it up to about 2" below the neck before the nozzle shut off. But since the nozzle tip was bigger than the car fill -up pipe, I had to hold it at the wider end.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,274 Posts
topping off to the nearest dollar will become less and less of a problem now,
vis a vis, spillage. :) sigh...i remember when a tankful totaled less than
$10. now, it's $80

·
Registered
1999 & 2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damage

So after drying out this charcole canister it seems of most peoples opinion that things should be okay after?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
So after drying out this charcole canister it seems of most peoples opinion that things should be okay after?
You can also just replace the charcoal canister, which if you flooded it that badly is probably the better thing to do.

Once replaced or dried out the car may or may not be okay; that will depend upon whether the backfiring did anything. That might be simple (popped off vacuum line) or ugly (the sky's the limit), but don't be too concerned until you try to start it after resolving the canister issue and if it doesn't, then you can start digging in.

There is a nice DIY for the charcoal canister in the sticky and I linked it here as a convenience to you: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1359651-diy-charcoal-canister-valve.html

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Take this as a lesson.....Never EVER fill a vehicle while it is running and never ever overfill. One spark and you are dead and so is your car.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
The valve

indicated by our fine member zviratko from Prague is the purge valve(labeled MOT)located in front of the brake master on the drivers side wheel hump in the engine compartment. which he described perfectly without finding the name,He is correct if the engine was running and you exceeded the emissions system ability to vent fumes you had the purge valve turn on and suck raw fuel into the intake.That could harm the o2 sensors with that much unburned fuel leaving the exhaust valves.
Is it running yet?did you pull some fuel?keep us posted
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1999 & 2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Okay, all of you have been extremely helpful on this issue.

Almost everyone here was correct in their soloutions. I was able to get a hold of a mercededs mechanic who does house calls.

He started off by saying this was not the first time he has seen this.

As we worked through the system though his demenor changed, as found un-burnt fuel in many places that you should not find it.

The valve that regulates gas presure located on the Drivers side front wheel well was full of gas. We removed the air intake and found it also to be wet with gas. Once removed we attempted to start it, some few pop's and mild backfires and a little run on but no ignition. We then checked the 2 front plugs on each side they are new and have a good brown colour to them, he indicated that this was a good sign that fuel has been burning correctly and that they were also not wet with fuel.

He said it sounded like it was flooded. We then disabled the fuel pump by removing the fuse under the rear seat. This allowed the cars drive by wire system to be disengaged, and allowed the car to crank more but not recommended to be done too many times, as it stresses the starter.

None of this worked. So he said that we would have to wait for the fuel to evaporate and try again tomorrow, that was yesterday.

He also showed me how to blow compressed air into the Charcole canister which I did, and alot of fuel came out of there.

Also we removed the entire air intake and opened the butter fly into the thorottle body where there is a puddle of fuel sitting. He recomended blowing air lightly in there to evaporate the fuel.

We will see how things go today I will also be attaching pictures to this post to explain in more detail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts